TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Good Salary or Not?
Turino - 2009-07-06
In response to Good Salary or Not? (KG)

4000 a month works out at about 130 Yuan a day. The cheapest Chinese beer costs at most 2 Yuan per 600 ml bottle,and you'll get a refund of about 4 Yuan per 10 empty bottles.That kind of beer is around 3% - 3.5% alcohol by volume, and of specific gravity 9 degrees - 10.5 degrees according to the brand.Unlike weak Western beer,it tastes good.As for cigarettes,Chinese brands at 5 Yuan a pack are quite pleasant to smoke.Those costing between 1.5 Yuan and 4.5 Yuan a pack are of low quality and will quickly give you a bad cough.Meat dishes in small to medium-sized Chinese restaurants will cost between 15 Yuan and 20 Yuan for a large plate of chilli chicken or sweet and sour pork,for example.A plate of vegetables or of fried peanuts will be around 5 Yuan.Add 1.5 Yuan or 2 Yuan for a bowl of rice.You'll be full.But if you eat dishes in Western fast food restaurants,you can virtually double your food bill.If you drink in Karaoke bars,the beer will cost at least 8 Yuan a bottle.That said,you can save some money by buying beer and cigarettes in bulk,eg 500 bottles of beer for 900 Yuan,delivery to your apartment free,or a box of 200 cigarettes for 48 Yuan instead of 50 Yuan.
I can live well off that kind of salary rent-free in Northern China.At the end of the month,I'll be left with at least Yuan in my pocket.Avoid taking taxis,eating in Western restaurants,buying Western products of any kind,drinking in bars,and you'll be well off.Now you can do the sums yourself.But in Southern China,the cost of living is much higher,especially in Guangdong.

Messages In This Thread
Good Salary or Not? -- KG -- 2009-07-06
Re: Good Salary or Not? -- Turino -- 2009-07-06
Re: Good Salary or Not? -- A China Conundrum -- 2009-07-07
Re: Good Salary or Not? -- KG -- 2009-07-07
Re: Good Salary or Not? -- HireEd -- 2009-07-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Good Salary or Not?

Go to another board -