TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks, Turino -- to my fellow FTs...
HireEd - 2009-07-12

Turino,
Thanks for taking the time to offer your story. I wish I could say iit was surprising, but after five years in China, of course, it's not. I had one run-in with Immigration (in 2004) also because my employer dropped the ball.

The reason I'm responding though is that your story also illustrates one reason why at times, readers/posters cross swords with each other.

You represent the population of expats that have married Chinese citizens and therefore have a unique set of experiences, perspectives, advantages and disadvantages (such as the attitude your wife receives at the PSB).

I arrived in China in 2003 and perhaps because of my advanced age (49 at the time), I had come there expressly for the purpose of teaching, and learning as much as possible about Chinese culture.

I also worked mostly for training centers (also three colleges/universities and a company or two) mostly due to the fact that I preferred teaching older students, higher salaries, and I didn't mind the evening and weekend hours.

The majority of my expat colleagues (at almost every place of employment) were much younger than me, less experienced in teaching (I had been a university lecturer in my home country) and more interested in nightlife, and a spectrum of "adventure."

Although I liked many of my fellow expats, I truly had little in common with them, and much preferred the company of Chinese friends -- for a multitude of reasons.

I'm sure you're thinking at this point (if not earlier): what does this have to do with my original post?

I know that you are frequent contribtor to various threads on this forum. Sometimes I agree with you; other times, not.

But your original post now allows me read your past and future posts with a different and more-informed perspective. I think if we (all posters in general) did not have to be so guarded about our personal experiences in China, then perhaps we could avoid a fair measure of misunderstandings, wrong assumptions, and downright hostility at times.

I lived and worked in China from 2003 to 2008. I sincerely love the people of China, and will always be grateful for the many amazing things I experienced because of their tremendous hospitality and generosity. I wish I could say the same about the ESL business. I had nothing but a string of lousy employers, and loads of frustrations with menagers, local authorities (as what you detailed, albeit somewhat different), landlords, merchants, etc.

In 2008, I ventured to South Korea, for what I expected to be a better quality of life and employment. OH, boy, how wrong I was! Except for the much improved sanitation conditions in South Korea, I preferred China much, much more.

As a result of my horrific experience in Korea, I returned home a physically disabled person. I now participate in an exclusively Korea-related ESL forum, as I am trying to effectively convey my story about what happened to me there.

I am having difficulty findiing a way to do so because the great majority of expats that work there and post on the forum are teaching children (kindergarten and elementary school jobs are the most prevalent in Korea) and working in public schools. Again, as with China, I worked for a major, franchised training center, teaching adults.

In short, the experience of the folks that conribute to that forum, have an entirely different set of problems, experiences and perspectives than mine, and yet, they will voice very strong opinions about what I'm offering nevertheless. I've only let a few details of my experience in Korea be revealed, and so far, a number of posters have taken a swipe at me (aomw others genuinely interested). I'm not sure I'll tell more at this point, as I don't wish my real life and serious misfortune be debated by those who can't relate, simply because my experience does not match their own.

The bottom line of my long-winded post is the fact that we need to very much keep in mind when reading and judging the posts of others, that FTs are experiencing a wide range of challenges, informed not only by their particular employment choices and circumstances, but also by other factors such as personal and professional priorties, such a choice of spouse, expat "ghettoization," and geographic location.

I hope we can remember that those of us who contribute to ESL Teachers Board.com threads occasionally or often will keep in mind that not all of us are young, inexpereinced in teaching (until arriving in China), looking for a one year whirlwind of adventure, and single.

I wish more habitual posters like you, would be willing to reveal more about their personal circumstances, and in result be treated with a bit more empathy, respect, and compassion from our fellow expats.

Your post has been a good lesson for me. Thanks a lot!

BTW -- I'd like to know more about life and culture in Hohhot area, please!

Messages In This Thread
Non-Correspondence of End-Dates of Teaching Contracts and Residence Permits -- Turino -- 2009-07-12
Thanks, Turino -- to my fellow FTs... -- HireEd -- 2009-07-12
Re: Thanks, Turino -- to my fellow FTs... -- Turino -- 2009-07-12
Re: Thanks, Turino -- to my fellow FTs... -- HireEd -- 2009-07-12
Re: Non-Correspondence of End-Dates of Teaching Contracts and Residence Permits -- Coppercat -- 2009-07-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Thanks, Turino -- to my fellow FTs...

Go to another board -