TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › My one week experience at a Korean summer camp
Lucy - 2009-07-29

I love my kids, even though I was dead tired after the first two days of the camp (I guess it normally is always chaotic). Aside from that, oh boy! We do it for the children right? I am getting $3 million won for 4 weeks, 24 days, 6 days a week (Monday to Saturday). 7 class periods (45 min. long), 10 min. break and a 50 minute lunch. Room is provided for and so are meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I arrived three days early (accommodation provided) and am leaving 2 days after the camp finishes. BUT... some things (such is life) are starting to annoy me. The director is really NOT organized at all. It's a MIRACLE my craft class even works out the way it does... One other foreign teacher even mentioned trying to negotiate a salary increase when he found out the profit for the entire camp will be about $200 million won or about $200,000 USD. Plus we work 6 days a week? What do YOU think? Any advice? I will now "RAMBLE" on.

I got my first dorm room with two twin beds and a refridgerator. NO sharing needed. Then they changed me to the same room without the fridge. When the other foreign male teachers (3) arrived the next day, they got a room with a TV, fridge and cooking facility (and also 2 FULL sized beds)... I mentioned it to the director, excuses excuses... At first, he even tried to make the other foreign male teachers SHARE a facility. They said HELL NO and got their way. I'm usually not like that plus you can only repeatedly hear the same lame excuses before you just give up. It's clean and every thing else (maybe a bit smaller) is the same... I guess. The other thing was I had to pay 8,000 rmb to get to this facility even though the contract said they were going to pick me up at the airport and drop me off. The Director said it's because they had a teacher's meeting that coincided with my flight arrival. This was true. THEN, I had to pay another 6,600 won to transport MYSELF to the location of the teacher's facility the following day. Mind you, I traveled by bus, subway and taxi ALL in one day... it took about 1 1/2 hours, maybe less since I got a little lost. I mentioned this to the other foriegn teachers and they said it depends and I would really have to talk to the Director about it. SHOULD I GET REIMBURSED or CONFRONT them about it? If so, what is the best way to do this???

The only other thing that really ticked me off was today when even though the contract MENTIONS diaries and the Director referred to it, his communication blows (SUCKS) and I had to grade over 20 journals, HALF of which were level 4 students who friggin wrote like 2-3 pages worth of PARAGRAPHS! Plus HOW and WHERE do you start correcting when some sentences just make absolutely no sense what so ever?! I love my kids but by the 5th journal, I was just drawing smiley faces and like WHATEVER...

I realize that every teaching and job for that matter, have issues but please, if you have advice or experience in these matters, LET ME KNOW? Thank you.

Lucy

· Previous · Next Return to Index › My one week experience at a Korean summer camp

Go to another board -