TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probably Done to death but...
remy - 2009-08-02
In response to Re: Probably Done to death but... (Theo)

Thanks for the reply!

...yes. Korea (oops!)

Lots of questions - most of them are variable. Basically, I don't want to have to worry too much about getting pay/job security, would rather teach older than younger but am flexible depending (I like my sanity), a decent teaching load (no more than 25 lessons/week pref.) , and am starting to apply now for sometime in the near future. I have a job right now so I'm not in too much of a rush (altho job security is gettin a bit shaky and the BS is high)

Credentials? Mm, BS in psych. from Illinois, ESL tutoring cert (which I'm pretty sure isn't worth much, but its something), I've taught a children's class that got the kids with "disciplinary" issues teaching martial arts, tons of "interpersonal" gigs, including exp. in the med field, food/service industry, etc. In terms of marketing (or selling things) I have tons of exp there as a manager of a music store. Uhh...I forget what else. (or too lazy to remember and then type) Umm, if you're looking at classes in addition to the degree, tons of classes in East Asian Languages and culture (1 away from a minor), tons in bio/chem/physics, and a good number in lit./phil. classes.

And Korea (this is gonna sound horrible)- essentially the perks, salary, and experience. Student loans make it supremely irresponsible financially to go to China or elsewhere until I have some seed money or loans paid off (or at last majorly dented), paperwork makes Europe a bit difficult, etc etc. Plus, my "ethnicity" would be Korean so the visa process'll be a bit smoother by my calculations. (F4 instead of E2) (And the going back to the roots thing, I suppose.) Also, I know how to speak/read/write (I suppose I'd be a level 3 student).

Also looking into Japan and Taiwan. Taiwan seems to require a teaching cert (I dont think a mere BS or the tutoring cert applies). Plus they pay less. Japan seems a tough market to crack into these days (esp.) and I've heard that non-whites have a harder chance/time. etc etc. and the perks are fewer (airfare/housing, etc)
Yeah.

Messages In This Thread
Probably Done to death but... -- Fischer McLee -- 2009-08-01
Re: Probably Done to death but... -- Theo -- 2009-08-02
Re: Probably Done to death but... -- remy -- 2009-08-02
Take heed... and approach with caution -- Theo -- 2009-08-02
Re: Take heed... and approach with caution -- Fischer McLee -- 2009-08-02
Re: Take heed... and approach with caution -- Theo -- 2009-08-03
Jeju -- Fischer McLee -- 2009-08-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probably Done to death but...

Go to another board -