TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Travelling after teaching in Korea
ANET - 2009-08-07
In response to Travelling after teaching in Korea (Emily)

Hi Emily,
I'm guessing you were teaching at a hagwon. After my first 12-month term, I asked for the return fare equivalent in cash and put it towards my visit to Northern Europe. I was with one of the rare good hagwons at that time. Then I returned to another school. If your boss is reasonable, there should not be such a time limit. If you fulfilled your 12 months, it's payable.

My observation is that with Koreans, it's pretty much "Out of sight, out of mind." I would get closure first and take the cash equivalent.
Also, I don't know who Theo is, but what he writes is TRUE. Contracts are non-enforceable by the Labor office and Courts laugh them off.
Personally, during my 5 years in Korea, when I worked for a good school, and they are few and far between, I was in heaven, but generally, their word means nothing and the contract is not worth the paper it's written on, so don't take promises and deadlines too seriously.

Messages In This Thread
Travelling after teaching in Korea -- Emily -- 2009-08-06
Re: Travelling after teaching in Korea -- ANET -- 2009-08-07
Re: Travelling after teaching in Korea -- Theo -- 2009-08-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Travelling after teaching in Korea

Go to another board -