TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Please BEWARE of Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp at Gmail KAU & Sangmyung Univ
ANET - 2009-08-29

Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy. Nevertheless, I need to address Lucys postings.
While in Ulsan, I was heavily criticized for my attempts, through the quasi-judicial and judicial system, to improve conditions for foreign teachers. I was also despised for subsequently informing the ESL community of undesirable/illegal employment practices.
Postings such as Lucys show what happens when F/Ts walk away from undesirable schools without warning other teachers.
Surely, others must have had problems with Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp. They never warned anybody.
Lucy was let down. Before going to Seoul, she wrote to us asking for advice.
The advice I gave her was not sufficient because I dont know Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp and I was never told about them. So I didnt want to arbitrarily steer her away from an arrangement that could have been a wonderful experience. I could not make any negative comments about the people she dealt with without cause. Her bad experience could have been avoided, had she known what to expect from the Korean ESL industry. She might have gone elsewhere or she might not be so angry and bitter about her time in Korea.

In retrospect, we can reply, Yes, what she now describes is exactly how it is. But then, if you have the luck of contracting with a reputable school in a good region (and these are hard to find) you will be enchanted. If you contract with one of the many poorly run employers, it will be hell.

All too often, the ESL industry in Korea is all about money - money and profits. Most Korean educators are neither proactive nor organized. Personally, I did NOT HAVE to be in Korea but many inexperienced people teach in Korea simply to pay off debts; and let's be candid, quick savings can be made there.

From what Lucy posted, those of us who spent many years in Korea can add, Yep, that is pretty much how they do business with foreigners. It can be frustrating for those of us who are actually TEACHING English and expecting our students to improve.

Now, Lucy has come forward and shared her experience. So, prospective Korean teachers: be warned. And undesirable hagwons that don't want to be denounced: clean up your act instead of bashing legitimate complainants.

My first experience in Korea was great. My second one, in Ulsan, was a nightmare I will never forget that left me with permanent prejudice.

Messages In This Thread
Please BEWARE of Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp at Gmail KAU & Sangmyung Univ -- Lucy -- 2009-08-25
Re: Please BEWARE of Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp at Gmail KAU & Sangmyung Univ -- ANET -- 2009-08-29
Re: Please BEWARE of Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp at Gmail KAU & Sangmyung Univ -- Lucy -- 2009-08-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Please BEWARE of Jay Lee & Sally of 2007giftedcamp at Gmail KAU & Sangmyung Univ

Go to another board -