TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › How much should I reasonably be looking to earn teaching in China?
jiangsu - 2009-09-28

Hello! (Nihao!)

I am seriously contemplating teaching English (preferably business English to business people, but would consider posts in high schools or universities) in China. Slightly outgrown my current role, I feel the options in the UK are not so good right now. I have no dependents, I don't own my apartment, and I have only a small debt that I could eliminate before the next academic year starts, so I have thought "Why not go for it?" I have visited Shanghai on business, and travelled in the area on holiday (Suzhou, Nanjing etc) and love the area. I am not necessarily looking for a role in Shanghai (could be too hectic) but one around there, because I know I like the area, its cuisine, its temperature (warm summers, but not too hot!) and it is relatively easy to get to from the UK (one flight a day from Heathrow with BA, no changes).

My question is this - how much should I be reasonably expecting to earn in Shanghai and/or Nanjing/Wuxi/Suzhou/Hangzhou?

The most important elements of my cv are - I am TEFL-certified from a recognised and registered provider (not Celta unfortunately, couldn't afford the time off work). I am gaining experience now by volunteering to teach English in the local area in the evenings, so hopefully can have that experience on my resume. UK national, born and raised. Speak English with a slight accent but nothing to worry about.

Over five years experience classroom teaching in corporate trainer role, training public sector officials and high-level managers in communications software and stakeholder engagament.

I have Bachelor of Arts (BA Hons 2:1), Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Science (MSc - Information Systems) degrees from recognised and prestigious UK institutions (not Oxbridge, but the rung 'just below'). Also achieved A grade in English Language A-Level and A* in English Language GCSE.

Well-travelled (four continents) with knowledge of and sensitivity to a diverse range of cultures.

I am an effective teacher, results-oriented, with strong credentials and experience in a delivery-focused environment - outstanding written references have been provided.

If you could help to answer this, it would be greatly appreciated - then I know which jobs I should be looking at and which I should definitely reject (I am in no immediate rush to move so can wait for the right opportunity).

Also, any practical advice on teaching in China (pitfalls etc) people can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
How much should I reasonably be looking to earn teaching in China? -- jiangsu -- 2009-09-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › How much should I reasonably be looking to earn teaching in China?

Go to another board -