TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A new world order?
cunning liguist - 2009-10-24

It's possible that those who are concerned about the dominance of America, including some American teachers I have spoken with, are responding to foreign policy issues.

Last semester I did some work with students on the United Nations (UN). The focus was on China's permanent member status on the UN Security Council (along with France, Russian Federation, the United States and the United Kindom). The students were required to do some research that would lead into a discussion. My students felt that China could play a major role in world peace. We discussed the 'power of veto' and the rules of the UN that prevent the organisation becoming involved in domestic issues. These rules are sensible, but when does economic activity cease to become a domestic policy issue - arms sales to Sudan for example? The discussion was lively and entertaining.

Given the opportunity, and without preconceived notions of Chinese students on the part of the teacher, it's ofen amazing to hear their views on wider issues if we give them the opportunity. And after all, a key purpose of university education is to get students to think.

As an aside - I've just finished reading an interesting book by Richard Clarke, the former counterterroism czar for both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. The author examines American foreign policy in this key area.

Clarke, Richard A. Against all enemies: inside America's war on terror. Free Press (a division of Simon and Schuster), 2004.

Messages In This Thread
Re: A new world order? -- cunning liguist -- 2009-10-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A new world order?

Go to another board -