TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Australia's Connection
Simon says - 2009-11-06
In response to Re: Australia's Connection (KJK)

Sorry so taking so long in replying to your question Silverboy. I came across that info that Australian uni's were lowering their standards in order to attract more Chinese students at another fourm on the topic that Canadian uni's were thinking of doing the same as to attract more overseas students for the easy dollars. I do not have the web address of this fourm as that was in China when I read this info and I lost the address. I will try to find it.
KJK

I hope you can find it.
I think it's about time that the "laowai" China bashers here in China are made to eat humble pie re the efforts of the governments of their homelands to subsidise their flagging economies by targeting the upper classes of China as an additional source of income in the field of higher education. I'm not too surprised either that Canada will probably jump on this bandwagon. This trend is gaining momentum!
The US has already lost out bigtime in this sector by imposing unnecessarily rigid immigration criteria on wanna-be tertiary-education applicants from foreign countries because of the perceived threat of terrorism post Twin Towers.
Oz has not so long ago changed their laws to allow foreign students to work part-time. I reckon Canberra is trying to kill two birds with one stone, ie collect tuition fees from foreign students while allowing the poorer of them to pick fruit for agricultural wages. The Pacific Island governments are eager to send migrant workers to Oz to do that job, but the Oz government is afraid they'll overstay their visas!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Australia's Connection -- KJK -- 2009-11-06
Re: Australia's Connection -- Simon says -- 2009-11-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Australia's Connection

Go to another board -