TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › 2007giftedcamp@gmail.com hiring again!
Lucy - 2009-11-12

lol. Take it with a grain of salt. As luck with have it, the one time I happen to search for camps on Dave's Korean job board, it's the same day Jay Lee and Sally decide to post a job for their winter camp.

I will somewhat "recant". Perhaps, the M,W,F position won't be that bad if you are not trying to be an awesome teacher but just get paid. Those two will make being an awesome teacher and having a rewarding camp experience... quite impossible. Jay can't communicate well at all. I feel even worse for those Camp Assistants.

Positives: 1) For the most part, they did "pay" but anything ELSE they promise or say to you, will be "in one ear, out the other..." Or just ignored after an, "Okay..." and a smile...

2) Free lunch DURING camp. I'm sure they updated the contract to specify that (at least I HOPE they did). It'll be more "honest" and you'll know what to expect.

I hope you have less than 15 kids per camp, but the way they are out for money, it may be right at 15 for each class. 2 classes each teacher, so 30 students.

NEGATIVES:

1) Lack of organization. Well, for the most part Jay has a general idea of what he SHOULD do... he just doesn't do the rest. Like provide table cloths for clean up during the Cake Decoration. I guess you could just leave the C.A.s to do it. Who cares if they hate you for not helping...

2) No supplies. They want to profit as much from this camp as possible. Ergo, the photocopied Workbook A and O. No supplies for your period 6, activities class (usually craft or science) either.

3) Journals, every day including days the students are NOT in class. Don't even bother putting in the effort. Jay doesn't check them and the students barely do either.

4) End of the camp performance. This is the one that always gets to me. Why even bother to make an awesome performance when you'll be the one glueing together the props for 2 hours every day after camp. Shouldn't Jay provide the props and just buy the dang things like costumes? It all goes to his glory and the camps, not yours. Don't bother. Do something stupid, silly, BORING...

5) Exams. After having like more than 5 camps you would think Jay can at least provide the exams? Not only will you have to make up your own exam but the CDs he does "provide" has nothing to do with what the book teaches. Your kids will fail but rest assured, they never get the exams back anyways. Don't even bother grading them.

6) Report cards. 30 kids. Get ready. I guess report cards for a 12 day camp are expected among Korean schools though, so I'll let that one slide. Don't forget to leave "comments".

There's probably more, but you will have to PM for me to think of any. Just be prepared for what to expect if you do apply for this position. I would ASSUME and think that Sally and Jay smartened up and will just get the damn supplies and try harder to make the NEW EMPLOYEE'S jobs and lives much more fun, but judging by what happened with me and past experiences... they probably won't. Have fun.

SHALOAM!

Messages In This Thread
2007giftedcamp@gmail.com hiring again! -- Lucy -- 2009-11-12
Re: 2007giftedcamp@gmail.com hiring again! -- ANET -- 2009-11-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › 2007giftedcamp@gmail.com hiring again!

Go to another board -