TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Help getting into ESL teaching
Turino - 2009-11-26
In response to Re: Help getting into ESL teaching (gharwell1)

...finish the University first. the better jobs are given to people with University Degrees. Yes, you can get a job and live in a crap hole and make a can of peas last for two days but who wants to.

Foreign teachers with or without degrees teaching in China are almost always well-paid so long as they are white and native speakers of English. As a matter of fact, they are generally paid twice the salary of their Chinese colleagues. And unlike the latter, their accommodation is almost always rent-free and relatively well-furnished. More likely than not, there will also be an internet connection, and a desktop computer. What you have stated re 'a can of peas' is misleading. As for what you say about 'living in a 'crap hole', do you mean living in a third-tier city of China? Nothing wrong with that, as it's the real China, as opposed to the big population centers full of false people trying to keep up with the Joneses. Just like me, many of my fellow foreign teachers in China dislike the big cities here. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small one in a big pond.
As for Korea, well, that's a completely different kettle of fish, and one that does not attract many old hands here, including myself.

Messages In This Thread
Help getting into ESL teaching -- Nicholas -- 2009-11-21
Re: Help getting into ESL teaching -- gharwell1 -- 2009-11-26
Re: Help getting into ESL teaching -- Turino -- 2009-11-26
Re: Help getting into ESL teaching -- peter shell -- 2009-11-23
Re: Help getting into ESL teaching -- Sufficiently Jaded -- 2009-11-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Help getting into ESL teaching

Go to another board -