TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Screwy Contract Clauses
Monitor - 2009-12-03
In response to Re: Screwy Contract Clauses (Paul from Canada)

Real ESL teachers needn't worry about contracts. They do an honest day's work for their pay.

I take it 'Paul from Canada' is a real ESL teacher teaching EFL in China, in which case he's doing a job that his qualifications are inappropriate for. As a 'real ESL teacher', he should be teaching English effectively to immigrants who are not native speakers of English in a country whose first language is English.
It is apparent from his username that he feels the fact that he's Canadian is worth stressing to add weight to his casting aside as trivial of what I would call evil and illegal contract clauses that compromise employees' rights. From his words, I suspect he's incahoots with a dishonest boss of a training centre, and hence he is trying to play down the unfair clauses in the teaching contract that were previously posted in this thread. If you listen to his words, you are as screwy as said clauses, in my opinion.
My penultimate point is that China has allowed its students and their parents to have far too much say in how teachers teach and which ones are dismissed. Since when have students and parents en masse become qualified to assume the role of what teaching inspectorates do in the West? Unlike said professionals, they are both ill-qualified and inexperienced in matters of teaching. That's one of the principal reasons why the Chinese education system is in such a mess.
Finally, let me say that Chinese education providers as a whole focus too much on how they can generate increased profits for themselves through providing education. They should focus more on trying to improve the quality of the education they provide through the teachers they employ. Lighting up key middle schools in the state sector with neon lights after dark to advertise their existence is a good example of the missplaced priorities of school principals in China, besides being an energy waste!
To sum up, 'Paul from Canada' would like to justify screwy clause in teaching contracts to us, but he cannot succeed in doing so!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- Paul from Canada -- 2009-12-02
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- Monitor -- 2009-12-03
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-03
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- Racy -- 2009-12-03
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- All-knowing Truth -- 2009-12-05
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- Juggernaut -- 2009-12-05
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- Turino -- 2009-12-04
Screwy Contract Clauses -- KJK -- 2009-12-03
Re: Screwy Contract Clauses -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Screwy Contract Clauses

Go to another board -