TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo
Josh Brannigan - 2009-12-15
In response to Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo (Trevor)

As for Omeida, it's good that you continue to have an open mind. What's one man's meat can be another man's poison. I've taught at schools and colleges that have had bad reports on the net. I discovered subsequently that some of them were actually okay to work for despite the trashing they had been subjected to online. Nonetheless, I was glad to have been forewarned of possible problems there via the net. On one occasion I had worked for a college that had neither good nor bad reports on the net. I had found my job there to be unenjoyable during the two years I taught there. I had pointed out the bad aspects of teaching there to a foreign teacher I had happened to meet while travelling in China. Howevever, I did stress that I would not blacklist said college despite the problems I had had there. When that foreigner quizzed me about what I had said, I replied that one man's meat is another man's poison. It's quite feasible that those who taught there after I had left, enjoyed their time there. I can see from your last post that you are not naive. However, it seems to me that the poster who reckoned you might well be, is probably the naive one. Omeida having gotten bad reports on the net has probably made it easier for you and your wife to snag jobs there. Every cloud has a silver lining, as the saying goes. The important thing for both of you now is to ensure that your contracts are fair and unambiguous. Good luck there, but remember to insist on the strict application of the terms and conditions of your contract. I think that college is not in a position to replace teachers who leave without considerable difficulty, due to all the bad publicity about it online. That's good for you and your wife, as it gives both of you more clout as well as a great opprtunity to iron out any shortcomings in your new contracts before you start teching there. Be sure to let us know about you and your wife's experiences working there. Finally, I feel that I must say that I wouldn't teach there, as I've no interest in dealing with unruly students from rich families. that's a no-no for me. But sb has to do it. Some teachers actually thrive on the challenge, but here in China you can sidestep those kinda jobs, as there are so many vacancies available that don't require teachers who are disciplinarians.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- CSUWS -- 2009-12-14
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Trevor -- 2009-12-15
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Josh Brannigan -- 2009-12-15
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- CSUWS -- 2009-12-15
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- The Owl -- 2009-12-15
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Trevor -- 2009-12-15
Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Turino -- 2009-12-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Omeida Language College in Yangshuo

Go to another board -