TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: American accent spoken English and improving writing skills tips
pangmei - 2009-12-18

Ya, I know exactly what you're talking aboat! (Not a typo...that's how most Canadians pronounce it.) Canadians speak great English, eh?

Cut me a break. 90% of the time I meet a ridiculously unqualified or undereducated FT here he/she is Canadian or Australian.The Canadians and English I've met here speak clear English, if, and only if, they are decently educated. Sadly, most of those types are not choosing to come here to China to teach English. As for French Canadians, my word. Their English is laughably bad. BBC English is indeed pretty good. But so is Voice of America English. That's why they're on the radio. As far as a country's "average" speakers go I'd put Americans at the top. Some of the folks here who harbor anti-American sentiments (and I can't blame you for that) have simply lost your objectivity on this issue. Yes, we're imperialist, war-mongering jerks but it don't mean we ain't able to speak English.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: American accent spoken English and improving writing skills tips

Go to another board -