TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: American accent spoken English and improving writing skills tips
Supercat - 2009-12-19

I would like to know what you mean by "well educated" teachers, if you mean anyone with a degree them that really makes me laugh! There are plenty of foreigners working as teachers in Asia who can't teach, both degree and non-degree holders.

The degree v non-degree issue has been done do death on boards like this, it is just a red herring and is not even worth talking about. If you don't actually have a teaching degree, then to be blunt, you are not really qualified to teach, although like any job, people can learn how to do that job by experience alone. It is why this degree only rule has been such a failure in Thailand for instance, only a tiny percentage of teachers there were previously teaching in the West. Many Westerners want to live and teach in China and Thailand, they will do so regardless of whether or not they are "qualified" to teach. Better for the Thai government to drop the stupid degree requirement, maybe many of the honest and highly experienced non-degree holding teachers like myself would return there, and Thailand would have less illegal workers. However the crap salaries on offer there are not exactly an incentive for teachers!

As for teachers "earning their daily bread" in China, well, that really makes me laugh! The pay for FT's in China is so pathetic it is no wonder that "backpackers" are attracted to such jobs, especially uni jobs. Training centre jobs are not even worth considering, the private EFL sector in China ( and Korea ) is nothing but a joke, as people like the Turnoi poster have pointed out many times.

Chinese universities must start paying FT's decent salaries eg: 8000-10000RMB a month.

Pay peanuts and you just get (white) monkeys!

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: American accent spoken English and improving writing skills tips

Go to another board -