TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: GAC/OWENS school
englishgibson - 2009-12-20
In response to Re: GAC/OWENS school (englishgibson)

Finally, I have moved out of the home I rented nearby the GAC OWENS and their Sino American International School in Chongqing. Losing 1,000 RMB on my 2,500 Yuan deposit due to, according to the appartment owner's reasoning, some "mold on a wall" and "two days of unpaid utilities", I had to happily accept the part of my deposit only.

Most importantly, the school's management has not expressed any interest whatsoever in either negotiating my rental agreement at beginning or the end. And, worse than that as they've done their best to bury me in expenses as I've had to pay for my initial rental dep, health check, visa and plane tickets and then they've also tried to fix me up when applying for my work visa on mainland again. The OWENS management's Release Letter to me, the Foreign Expert Termination Letter, is a slap in my face after the six months of ordeal with this company. Even though none of the OWENS managers have neither never observed my classes nor known me at all as I was there for only 6 months (and alone in classes), I have been evaluated as a "POOR" expert and the reason for leaving in that letter ticked "PERSONAL" is just to make it hard for me to apply for another position on mainland. Never mind the fact that Michelle Meng, the center's manager, has signed my Resignation Letter on November 2nd which stated my reasons much different than that "personal" in the Foreign Expert Termination Letter and never mind the fact that I have worked with their academic product with another company for 4 years prior to coming to OWENS, they disregarded my Letter of Recommandation from the previous employer as well as they disrespected my actual effort from the whole 6 months with them. Then, in order to get my final 6h month full salary (they wanted to cut it to half), I had to sign a letter that I would never disrepute OWENS anywhere.

Moreover, by threatening me, the OWENS management has tried to force me convert my residency permit valid until next May to an L visa as the company has arranged it for me. Reasoning that their Release Letter to me in the Foreign Expert Termination Letter, they've provided me with, is unprofessional from them, I have left with the residency permit in my passport unchanged.

So, and as I am worried applying for my next post eslewhere, the OWENS filthy Chinese managemenet in Kevin, Sarah or the manager of their GAC center Michelle Meng should be avoided at all costs. Their foreign academic director Dave in Jie Fan Bei's private language center is just their pupet that'd do anything to keep his (entertainment) position as he's refused to offer me any assistance at all, or provide me with the OWENS owners (whom I was never allowed to talk to) contact number.

Note that they are advertising for foreign teachers and they say in their job adverts that they've got 54 teachers. Interestingly, their lovely HR rep called Smile, that was bothering me so much to convert my visa before my departure, stated on the end of November that OWENS had 40 teachers then. Their adverts are full of lies as much as their management reps are. Their GAC center on Nanshan Mountain is especially to be away from as the 25 years old Michelle Meng there is not only clueless, but also as vicious as she can be. The work environment there is a way beyond anyone's expectations as you are there on your own even with the simple basic suplies such as computer, paper, printer or copy machine and never mind other kinda supports one would need.

On another note, the few OWENS students that are there are from filthy rich families and care little about the education but a lot about getting to that foreign country and quickly. The young students there are well aware of what's going on in the company and they'll take a complete advantage of the situation. If a teacher happens to take them out of their comfort zone, they'll bite by filing complaints against and you'll be quickly "evaluated" by the OWENS management. Mind you that some of these students' parents are personal friends of the OWENS management too. Luckily, I've escaped by filing my own Resignation Letter first, although a loss of face means a lot on mainland as it looks like in my case.

To sum up my warning, keep in mind that work permits on mainland now aren't as easy as a decade ago and a bad rap from an employer may come costly to anyone. And, some Foreign Expert Offices with their SAFEA regulations/contracts are at times none existant or just bias as they find it easier to serve the local employers than the foreign experts. It's a vicious cicle where money flows to some pockets easier than to others.

Marry Christmass with cheers and beers to all

Messages In This Thread
GAC/OWENS school -- englishgibson -- 2009-11-06
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- englishgibson -- 2009-11-11
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- Rick -- 2012-07-10
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- englishgibson -- 2012-07-10
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- GAC Nightmere Poster -- 2009-11-09
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- The Mole -- 2009-11-09
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- englishgibson -- 2009-11-11
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-20
Re: GAC/OWENS school -- Turino -- 2009-12-20
Re: GAC in China Scam -- Turino -- 2009-11-09