TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner
Chris Morgan - 2009-12-20

Found this on another discussion board and though others might find it interesting:
I don't know why this irrational characterization of foreign teachers irritates me but I recently saw a posting from a school in China, looking for foreign teachers, with the following quote as what we always 'complain about' the most:
"We do not do that in my country!" to which I am sure schools would like (but do not dare) to reply "But this is not your country and that is how we work here!"
They then go on to portray all, or most, foreign teachers as lazy, foul-tempered drunks. While I have met some that fit in that category, we are not all like that. In fact, I would say the characterization is for the minority. In addition, the stereotype could go both ways to characterize any individual, regardless of where they were born.
What always amazes me, and goes right to the heart of their assumption about our statement, is that the complaints are not about any sort of cultural eccentricities which are usually worked around...things such as communication styles (West: Speaker must make clear their message / East: Listener must discern the meaning of the message even if it is not stated), eating habits, etc. What brings on the oft heard complaint from foreign teachers is because of much broader and more damaging issues such as:

----
Not sure if I can put the whole thing here since it may cause some to get upset but you can see the whole text using the link below.

Messages In This Thread
Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Chris Morgan -- 2009-12-20
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-21
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Supercat -- 2009-12-20
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- gorucho -- 2009-12-23
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- juanisaac -- 2009-12-21
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-22
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Percy Lightfoot -- 2009-12-21
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- groucho -- 2009-12-23
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Supercat -- 2009-12-22
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Supercat -- 2009-12-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner

Go to another board -