TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner
Supercat - 2009-12-21

I would have to agree with what you wrote juanissac. I do not understand why people in China and other Asian countries have to treat service industry workers like garbage. I can also understand a fair bit of Putonghua and I am also often appalled by the abuse that these often kind and hardworking people must endure.

I know that bullying and abuse also takes place is the West, but not to anything like the same extent as in China. You are right, you hardly ever hear anyone say "thank you", "excuse me", "can I please have". I have heard some totally ridiculous arguments at supermarkets, banks, and restaurants in China, people yelling at shop assistants and bank tellers, complaining about the most trivial things.

Culture is not an excuse for this behaviour, but I am sure somebody will post a message here trying to make an excuse for such behaviour on the basis of "cultural differences". The Chinese definitely need training to improve their poor social skills and they need to learn about good manners and the importance of compassion and sharing.

As far as education goes you are also right, the Chinese continue to focus on rote learning techniques. They have much to learn from Westerners in regard to education, but they will not listen, they are much to stubborn and arrogant to think that they can learn anything from us.

I can't see the situation changing anytime soon. Will the Chinese change their ways eventually? No, they are stuck in a timewarp, and will ( mostly ) continue to remain backward in comparison to the West in my opinion.

Messages In This Thread
Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Chris Morgan -- 2009-12-20
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-21
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Supercat -- 2009-12-20
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- gorucho -- 2009-12-23
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- juanisaac -- 2009-12-21
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-22
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Percy Lightfoot -- 2009-12-21
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- groucho -- 2009-12-23
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Supercat -- 2009-12-22
Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner -- Supercat -- 2009-12-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Cultural Stereotypes: The Evil Arrogant Foreigner

Go to another board -