TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Sick Leave in Contracts
englishgibson - 2009-12-23

There are many employment contracts with sick leave clauses that assure one of only 2 or 3 days at 100 % pay in China, however, to my knowledge, the central government's labor laws do not state the specific number of days as that, do they?

Moreover, some employers' contratual agreements try to limit one's sick leave allegability to only 2 days per month which also to my knowledge isn't a standard on mainland. At least that these kinda clearer point out to "per month" as the firstly mentioned are unclear whether they mean the whole year or not, but still if one gets ill with just a flu and maybe a bit of a fever it may take a bit longer than that 2 days to recover. Taking a "salary cut" 'cause one had a flu isn't exactly what a professional working environment should be about, is it?

On another note, there are some vague wordings in some employment contracts on the topic and the doctor's note is a standout there as well. Some employers have their "own clinics" one should go to in order to qualify for a sick leave which to me is not completely acceptable as I want to see a doctor or a hospital that I choose. I believe that's one of my basic rights, isn't it?

Not that I am planning on going on a sick leave and spending it on Sanya's lovely beach for a week. I always give a fair treatment to my students and so I seek the same from my employer and I bet there are many others just like me.

Cheers and beers to no sick leave, but if it comes it comes and we should be protected

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Sick Leave in Contracts

Go to another board -