TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: looking to start
MasterMason - 2009-12-26
In response to looking to start (andy)

To be quite honest, from the horror stories I have read online, I'd give Korea a pass entirely. Though there seems to be less online in regards to horror stores, it is also a much much smaller country, with a lot less foreigners in it than a place like China. If you compare the amount of horror stories out there in relation to the number you can find about China, Korea might actually be a worse option. It is at the least equally bad when compared to China. It also seems like the horror stories one reads about Korea are more extreme in regards to the mis treatment and outright abuse foreigners seem to often end up taking.

No, looking at both the number of complaints, size of the country itself, and small number of foreigners there when compared to someplace like China, I would give it a big miss. Check for yourself, there are quite a number on this website, as well as others.

I think too many people look at teaching in Korea as sort of the promised land of esl, because of the big salaries being offered and what appears to be a very low number of expat complaints when compared to places like China. People just don't stop to think about the relatively small number of expats in Korea when compared to other places, like China for example, which has the worst re in this regard.

No, I would never ever teach in Korea, from what I have seen it has the worst abuse when looking at things from a per capita statistical standpoint of any country, period. Indeed there are good schools and bad ones everywhere. However, when you look at just how small a country it is, and how few foreigners are there in relation to other countries, and than see all the complaints about mistreatment. Well, sufficient to say that, it is a place that should be avoided. Others will no doubt disagree, since they had good experiences there, however I would advise much the same in regards to China to be honest, but I think Korea is worse when you really look close.

Indeed there is abuse everywhere, but you are less likely to run into such abuse in western European countries than you are in Asian ones. Check out schools in Europe firstly, or even Japan. The pay in Japan is good, and there is far, far less abuse. Look for complaints from foreigners who have taught in Japanese schools, you won't find many.

I hope this has been of help to you. Avoid Korea if at all possible. China is also bad, but not as bad, and there is a lot more too choose from in China, though I would never teach at a school there again. It's your decision, but trust me, if you go to Korea, you are more likely than not to regret it I think. Good bye.

Messages In This Thread
looking to start -- andy -- 2009-12-23
Re: looking to start -- MasterMason -- 2009-12-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: looking to start

Go to another board -