TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Beware of gender specifics!
englishgibson - 2009-12-29
In response to Re: Beware of gender specifics! (Karen)

karen, sadly enough, i've got to agree with you on some of the points in your post (i'm quoting below), however, and i'll tell you why i also disagree with your too.

Gender discrimination is common in China and it does not necessarily mean that a given school is bad and in fact, I know of many licensed and well respected schools and ESL institutes alike that have a specific gender requirement because they serve a specific demographic such as an all girls school as an example. I have seen this with boarding schools, various religious schools, and others that were in business for at least 50-years so your comments are not completely with merit. In the case of teaching very young kids, most parents request female only teachers as yet another example. The school that I currently work at has been in business for about 17-years and they only hire female teachers.
it surely does not mean the school is bad, however it may be that the school is discriminating. we're in 21st century, aren't we?
your points on boarding, religious schools or kindergarten are agreeable, although any kindergarten should give an equal opportunity for both, females and males, shouldn't it? there're house husbands nowadays, aren't there? females wish to take over these high management positions anywhere, don't they? i see no reason why single out one sex for such positions as kindergarten and if the pre-school is so great, it'll be able to explain to its parents the male teacher's well qualified and / or experienced. well, unless the kindergarten isn't any religious kind.

cheers and beers to all of our points of vies on the topic

Messages In This Thread
Beware of gender specifics! -- scarlettohara -- 2009-12-26
Re: Beware of gender specifics! -- Karen -- 2009-12-27
Re: Beware of gender specifics! -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-29
Re: Beware of gender specifics! -- scarlettohara -- 2009-12-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Beware of gender specifics!

Go to another board -