TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ? on criminal record
Craig - 2010-01-04

Hi,
I am a U.S. citizen, have a university degree, and recently obtained an tefl certificate with plans on teaching abroad (hopefully China). the question that i have is pertaining to a background check. i got in trouble with the law when i was about 18yrs (12 years ago). this resulted in a felony possession of marijuana conviction that is on my adult record. in america, most employers do 7 to 10 year criminal background checks before hiring. in my case, its been over 10 years, and my name comes back clean when checking. i also have had my adult record expunged. having my adult record expunged is just short of a pardon. this expungement does not completely erase my criminal history though. it just states that there was no conviction or prosecution. Does a country like China require local police clearance from my home state? will this affect my employment opportunities that i want to pursue teaching in a country like China or somewhere in the vicinity? From the research that i have done, obviously teaching in some asian countries like korea would not be an option. what are you thoughts on this issue and could you give me some guidance on possibly places i could teach in.

ITS IT POSSIBLE, CAN I MAKE IT HAPPEN.

ANY INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THIS ISSUE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

C.J.

Messages In This Thread
? on criminal record -- Craig -- 2010-01-04
Re: ? on criminal record -- Supercat -- 2010-01-04
Re: ? on criminal record -- englishgibson -- 2010-01-04
Re: ? on criminal record -- Supercat -- 2010-01-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ? on criminal record

Go to another board -