TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ? on criminal record
Supercat - 2010-01-04
In response to Re: ? on criminal record (englishgibson)

Hi englishgibson, I did not mean for my post to be a slur upon FT's in China. Yeah, maybe I should have said that there are "quite a few" FT's in China who have criminal records. Not that I really care anyway, provided the crimes these people commited are not really serious, it is of no concern to me.

There are many foreigners in China who are here to escape debts in the West, or some guys avoiding paying child support. There are also many people here with minor criminal convictions eg: drink driving, smoking pot etc. I have met a few of them, I am sure that you have also.

As for criminal checks, nobody has EVER checked my background when I have applied for jobs in China ( and I have applied for dozens and dozens of teaching positions in China )
If employers in Guangzhou and Shanghai are now doing criminal background checks then it must be a new phenomenen.

As you would know, there are different rules that apply throughout different provinces in China. For example, I am often amused when I hear people say that an FT MUST have a reference letter or at least a letter of release to apply for a new teaching position in China when they leave their old job or have finished their contract.

I have NEVER given a reference letter or letter of release to a Chinese school employer, and I have never been asked for one up until recently (first time ) I worked at three universities in China in a row without one, they never even asked for a release letter ( I do have two of them )

Just give them your resume and a few copies of your documents and they either say yes or no. I know this is a bit off topic but it just goes to show that the rules are not always black and white in China. That is sometimes a good thing, a bit of flexibilty, unlike a place like the UK or Australia, where you MUST HAVE this or that or you don't get the job.

Messages In This Thread
? on criminal record -- Craig -- 2010-01-04
Re: ? on criminal record -- Supercat -- 2010-01-04
Re: ? on criminal record -- englishgibson -- 2010-01-04
Re: ? on criminal record -- Supercat -- 2010-01-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ? on criminal record

Go to another board -