TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Pronunciation problems of native Chinese speakers in English
kjk_esl - 2010-01-17

Whatta! Whatta is all this!

I could not agree more with you EG! In my three years of teaching in China and with meeting so many Chinese who have immigrated to Canada here where I am once living again. I have taught at public schools, colleges and the wonderful cram schools and never once did I see a Chinese teacher try to improve the pronunciation of their students. Teachers pass on their miss-pronunciation on to their students. The Chinese education system has a very narrow view of what English is and how we speak it. China's education system is still like most of the country, no one is brave enough to stand up and tell everyone that the emperor has no clothes. No one wants to upset the carefully arranged apple cart with rotten apples. Lets be honest here. The English language in China and most of Asia is a cash cow for the vast majority of schools and those teaching English.

Yes trying to teach there in China can cost you your job as the vast majority of schools are only interested in you entertaining the students, putting smiles on their faces with the fun games that you play with them (games are good if they are lesson based, fast paced and do not take up most of the class). Oh yes you will be confronted by Chinese teachers who do not want to be shown as a bumpkin. They will fight you tooth and nail to try to prove to you that you are wrong and that they are right.

As for cutting the there in China, the whole country cuts corners! With safety, education, food, contracts etc. It is a very interesting study there seeing all of the corner cutting that takes place in China. School will cut corners in order to maximize profits, to control you ( I am still at a loss why they like to control you so much there in China). It is an interesting study but I still see corner cutting here in Canada but at least we have more laws to prevent it and we kick up a fuss when it happens more often.

It is hard at times to find your groove when you are there teaching but when you do it is a great feeling! Enjoy your time there folks it can be rewarding.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pronunciation problems of native Chinese speakers in English -- englishgibson -- 2010-01-16
Pronunciation problems of native Chinese speakers in English -- kjk_esl -- 2010-01-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Pronunciation problems of native Chinese speakers in English

Go to another board -