TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Gateway English Wuhan, avoid bigtime
Concerned in Wuhan - 2010-02-02

Hi all, I wanted to know if anyone here has ever heard of a school called Gateway English in Wuhan? Upon answering an advertisement for this school I talked to some fellow by the name of Guy Dekker, supposedly the fellow how runs the school. He's a twenty something aussie, and is the owner. I've always been leery of schools run by foreigners, and some things about the place concerned me.

Firstly, is that they don't provide a working visa. Upon asking for more info the owner operator, Guy, said it was not necessary, and that whatever I had was fine. This is of course a red flag. Clearly the school is not licensed, either to be in business, or to hire foreigners.

They also don't provide housing, and offer a salary of only 4,500 for 20 actual hours of teaching a week.

I had considered it, because I've some friends in Wuhan who say i is a good place, but upon doing some digging of my own it seems a bad deal.

If anyone else has heard of this outfit, I'd like to know more, so please share your knowledge, experiences here. I checked out their website, and it was kind of odd. The school owner, Guy, is 27, yet claims 6 years teaching English in China, and then 8 years experience in Australia, for a grand total well beyond his years. One of the seeming partners of the school, Graham Murdoch, claims to have graduated from Harvard or Oxford or something with honors, and yet looks to be just out of diapers. What is up with that, and why would someone with such impressive credentials be teaching in some small English school in China to begin with?

I smell a rat, but I wanted to see if anyone else had had any experience with this outfit before I made up my mind about them.

Their website is down now, don't know why.

I would say avoid, the job itself sounds kind of crappy, and the school isn't licensed to hire foreigners to being with. Not only that, but they don't offer a working visa. If anyone knows anything more, let me know.

I also saw something about a Chinese school being run by this outfit, as well as an editing and translation business, as well as something to do with mining. Why do I get the feeling this is just another badly run English training center?

Messages In This Thread
Gateway English Wuhan, avoid bigtime -- Concerned in Wuhan -- 2010-02-02
Re Gateway English Wuhan, avoid bigtime -- Guy Dekker -- 2010-12-08
Re Gateway English Wuhan, avoid bigtime -- Guy Dekker -- 2010-12-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Gateway English Wuhan, avoid bigtime

Go to another board -