TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Let me correct you points
China Girl in Singapore - 2005-03-08

> It is basically like this for teaching most students English.

Take Singapore for example:

1. Non-native speaker of English, a Singaporean teacher, he/she teach their students writting and grammar. He or She will also teach listening comprehension practice by using tape recordings of native and Non-English speakers in dialogues. And, the non-native Singaporean English teacher's main purpose is to teach English Subjects like (Reading/Writing/Speaking/Listening). They too can offer a better explaination of grammar and English usage in many cases.

2. Non-Native English speaking teachers from Singapore, main purpose is to teach the students English. To give students a better understanding of English, listening practice, speaking practice, writing and cultural learning all their subjects like science, math, history, geopgraphy are in English. They foreign teacher (aka: native speaker) are not needed to bring new and exciting methods of teaching like what they have in Western schools. Their teachers can handle all that.

So really, they have Non-native English teachers, and they function very well.

It is that simple. They do need see the need for native speakers of English from other countries to teach, because they already have citizens(Chinese/Malays/Indians/Pakkistanis) in their own country who can perform that job.

Like I've mentioned in my previous post. If we were to compare the standard of English between secondary school students from Singapore and 4th year chinese universities students - the latter, are miles behind. And bearing in mind students in Singapore do not have the privelige of native English speakers from the BIG 5.

Try putting forth these to your students.

1)Ask them if they are attached and they'll just stare at you.(They will not understand you, trust me)
2)Ask them if they are married and they will say (shout) No! at you.
3)Ask them if the are available and they will scratch their head.
4)Tell them that you are a bachelor or a spinster and they'll scurry for their electronic ditionary.

If you explain the above to them they will be blushing.

It's not easy for students in China to really understand native English speakers. I had the same problem during my 2 years in middle school. An American lady taught us for 6 months and after she left in came a British. In my 2nd year before departing for Singapore I had a teacher from down under. So do you think I understand them? In my case, me and my ex classmates in China were at a total lost. 3 differents teachers and three different accents.

Call me an idiot, stupid or dumb for all I care. But I know I'm much much better than millions of English learners back home who have had and still have native English speakers teaching them.

I know my people better than anyone of you people out there. Teaching of English is a business in China. It's all about the skewered S [($) .

How many schools out there have screwed foreign teacher native and non native? How many foreign teachers (native) have got the boots from their employers so deep up their( you know where) that they need a truck to pull them out. I know there are many good schools out there. No disrespect to them. But,how many is the many?

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. It's not my intention and if I do please do except my sincere aoplogies.

Have a nice day, Ladies and Gentlemen . Enjoy China
Love you all teachers no mater who you are and where you're from. You are all teachers as far as I'm concern.

Messages In This Thread
Let me correct you points -- China Girl in Singapore -- 2005-03-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Let me correct you points

Go to another board -