TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why blame the teachers who worked there
helmut wingnut - 2010-02-26

Again Turnoi, your post here about why you wouldn't hire teachers who'd taught at private schools doesn't make sense to me. What academic standards do public schools have that are so high? I know a teacher at a local elementary school with no BA, no teaching experience, and no TEFL. They are actually the same sorts of people who work at private schools, but they were recruited through Buckland. At the university level there are teachers, again with no teaching experience, no TEFL, and no related degree, but they will have a BA in something.

And again, one doesn't really have to TEACH at public schools. As you probably know, on is generally considered the cherry on the cake, and not really essential, but rather an afterthought. In the private school the foreign teacher is the one doing the real teaching. The biggest difference is that in public schools teachers often couldn't teach a real class if they wanted to, ever, because the classes are far too large. The private school provides small class sizes, motivated students, and a structured curriculum. Public university curriculum, in my experience, are non-existent. I can do whatever I want, and I can't even get a mere paragraph of a description of what the class I'm teaching is supposed to be about. I can't find out when the finals are until a week before or even after.

In my experience, there doesn't seem to be such a big difference between qualifications for teachers in general public schools and in private schools. Of course for universities one must have at least a BA, but I know people with MAs teaching in private schools. Unis do tend to hire retired people who might not be able to deal with teaching young kids, however.

If I had two candidates, one who'd taught in a public elementary, middle or high school in China, and one who'd taught in private schools, both for two years, the main difference would be that one actually had to teach for two years while the other was generally able to just go through the motions and might not know how to teach at all. You don't need to know how to teach in public schools, and there are people there who couldn't cut it in private schools. In private schools you are observed and the expectation is much higher. Having taught in both sorts of schools, I really prefer teaching at a public university, but I'm a much better teacher for having taught in private schools.

You say private schools have sub-standard corporate teaching guidelines, but it seems public schools have no standards, other than that the students don't complain about a teacher.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why blame the teachers who worked there -- helmut wingnut -- 2010-02-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why blame the teachers who worked there

Go to another board -