TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ECA Guangzhou (recruiter)
englishgibson - 2010-03-07

I've just had a rather peculiar experience with a person named Kevie that contacted me by email a week ago to offer me a job in a Guangzhou's public school. The offer was at 7,000 RMB for up to 27 weekly teaching hours. After I asked for 20 instead of that 27 teaching hours per week, i got a prompt reply that it was not possible. So, I declined the offer with a pro reply. However, a day later I received an offer for 10 teaching hours weekly at 4,000 RMB in the same school and so I asked for a contractual agreement to see. The very next reply from Kevie came with a change of heart (from the employer) and that previously requested 20 teaching hours were agreed upon, although no contract yet. So, yet again I asked to see the contract for 20 teachiing hours for 7,000 RMB and i had to wait (not that i was in a hurry as i've got a job). A couple days ago, I received that contract although not exactly the way it was described by Kevie. A clause in stated that it was 18 to 27 weekly teaching hours. I am sure that Kevie would think it is 20, wouldn't she? :) To put a nail on our negotiations, after i declined her not so 20 weekly hours, Kevie, today, sent me another offer for a post in Nanhai (Guangdong). But she never said she was a recruiter as she wanted to show me the public school in Guangzhou so much. :lol

So, I think everyone should know who this person is as if you are to negotiate with Kevie you might run into a few issues. I am glad i've got a job and do not have to rely on such people as Kevie in her fine Liying Mall Guangzhou's office

(http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl?read=142786

What scares me here is that how she's got a hold of me. I never applied for the job and as far as I remember never contacted this person before. But never say never as I have sent quite a few applications before. Looking for jobs we send a lot of private info about us and some credentials as well. Not long ago, I've read about recruiters' possible abuse of our certs and any private iinfo. Last week, I read about Nigerian Letters" (emails) people around the world receive annonymously and with requests for "assistance in trasferring large sums of cash". An EU country's investigating the Hong Kong and China connection. Apparently, some Bank of China and Mr Chen have something to do with this. Not that Kevie is the culprit on here, but just to consider such "help" from such "recruiters" that often waste our time and take so much of our info with them.

Watch out!

Cheers and beers to direct contacts with any kind of employers we'll know

Messages In This Thread
ECA Guangzhou (recruiter) -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › ECA Guangzhou (recruiter)

Go to another board -