TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: GAC-ACT
Jim Smith - 2010-03-25
In response to China: GAC-ACT (englishgibson)

Regarding GAC

Dear all; The GAC -Another view from another educator: Ive been teaching for many years. I have professional teaching certificates from two states in the USA. I hold a Masters Degree in International Education with an emphasis in ESL/EFL. My professional teaching/administrating experience includes, writing curriculum and accreditation reports and teaching at WASC accredited public high schools and colleges in the USA. Since moving to China three years ago, Ive taught at 2 International Baccalaureate schools. The first, was as a DP teacher and the second, I taught and administrated as the DP Coordinator. Since moving here to China Ive met many actual teachers. Ive also met many so called English Teachers.

A person who calls himself a teacher and happens to be in China and is employed as a teacher is no more a teacher than an assembly-line transistor-tech working in Taiwan is a an electrical engineer. In China, you can call yourself a teacher and people buy it because of your skin color, accent and passport. Not unlike a technician in Taiwan may convince his friends hes an EE because his pals have no idea what an EE actually is. That said, you show me your documented credentials and skills and Ill refer to you in the appropriate manner. There is a distinction between someone like me and someone who has a BA in psychology or business and says hes a teacher because he lives in China and has a job with EF and just happens to have a blue passport.

The corruption, deception and ineptitude run deep here when it comes to English teaching. Why would anyone work for the same employer for 4 years when such terrible inequities (like you mentioned) are taking place? The answer is because the person, the Teacher is unqualified and therefore unmarketable. Unfortunately for China, 9 of 10 Teachers are unqualified or perhaps a better term is non-qualified. The system is perpetuated by this which has its good and bad points. The bad points are obvious; lower standards plus the entire educational products is devalued. On the up side, millions of people without skills (other than English first skills) have the chance to move to China and earn a fair living.

As for the GAC: I happen to know a little something about the GAC. Its purpose is known as a foundation school. It was developed to prepare EFL students to go abroad to English speaking countries for university including; the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and of course the USA. There is a fee to open the school there are royalties paid on a per student enrollment basis So What!!! Do you think the IB is free?? (Most of you dont even know what the IB is look it up www.ibo.org ). As good as the IBOs reputation is and as evolved as there standards are, I have witnessed some of the worst learning environments ever at so called IBO World Schools. With that said, Ive seen some stellar IBO schools here in China, with quality management and a professional teaching staff. Like the GAC, the IBO does not manage or own schools; as a result they have their fair share of dogs no better or worse than the GAC.

The GAC is not run by Chinese in Shanghai. That is incorrect-false information. Furthermore, There is built in accountability and the curriculum is excellent. Furthermore, students are encouraged to go to whatever English speaking country they choose not just the USA. Thats another out and out lie. Heres the kicker, as part of the curriculum all GAC students are required to take the ACT exam. You tell me, what better way to assess EFL students overall skills than through the ACT. The ACT and the SAT exams are the most important and credible undergraduate entry exam in the USA for sure and probably the entire English speaking world.

Lastly, I dont doubt there is some grade inflation going on. There may be more unscrupulous behavior like some of the other posters have mentioned. You must understand GAC schools are individually owned just like IBO World Schools. Its up to the owners and administrators to create a clean and fruitful learning environment. I have been to a half dozen GAC schools. One had 67 students enrolled, all the teachers were professional and the principal was from the west and was as good as they come. The other five had anywhere from 75 to 200 students enrolled and they are model schools in my opinion. Please keep in mind, the GAC has been less than 8 years.

Now you have the good and the bad. I love the GAC thats why Im opening a new ATC next month. I believe it is an excellent, highly accountable, program to help those students who desire something different by going abroad for their tertiary education. For you qualified teachers out there; please dont be afraid to apply to GAC school. Do your dd before hiring on just like you would if you applied for any other new job - Jim

Messages In This Thread
China: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-01-09
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-04-09
Re: GAC-ACT -- Jim Smith -- 2010-03-25
Re: GAC-ACT -- Smitty -- 2010-03-25
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-27
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-26
Re: GAC-ACT -- Sun Carol -- 2010-01-25
Re: GAC-ACT -- J Melbourne -- 2010-03-24
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-27