TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: GAC-ACT
englishgibson - 2010-03-27
In response to Re: GAC-ACT (J Melbourne)

J Melbourne, they are more corrupt and deceitful than you can possibly imagine and never mind the little fish such as a DoS, a school's owner or the Shaghai's headquarters and its only Chinese staff. Let me quote you here below to answer how corrupt they really are.

With the students ACT scores as lows as they are, I can't believe the students are accepted to American Universities...
At some of the mainland GAC schools, the local administrators carry out these American ACT college entry exams. I myself sat in during one of the mainland ACT exams and I supervised the local staff and test takers with their parents waiting outside. The exam took place at the University where I worked and it was carefully publicized. Even though I was assigned to supervise the exams, I was not allowed to grade them as the local administrators of my employer (the GAC subscriber) picked them all up from me. Interestingly, there were so many test takers (100s) and unfamiliar faces, but I was told they were for the GAC courses. As it looked that it was a clear success for my employer, he (and she) further publicized the American college exams later again. They were not as careful the second time and SOMETHING happened. Our GAC license was pulled down temporarily (a couple weeks or so). I guess we could blame the Shanghai's headquarters, but they've been warned a few times by the central government not to carry out the ACT exams on mainland. According to Beijing, the exams do not have a permission, although Mr. Todd Andrews, the ACT man in charge of Asia, has been promoting them "silently" at the GAC schools on mainland for a few years. Since he has poorly followed up on my recent complaints about another GAC school, where I spent a rather short time, I believe that this American man collects dues not only for the initial subscribers' fees and royalty fees per student but also other fees that aren't as official. :)

By the way, have you heard of the large cash gifts accepted by some financially strapped American Universities? There are a few dozen Chinese students from my classrooms that are studying at American Universities now and some have even got their scolarships (well publicized on my campus) there. Wondering how it could be when the local high school dropout student so underperformed in my classrooms, I have come to believe the story of gifts that have certain terms and conditions. This is also a great way to avoid paying taxes for the Americans, isn't it?

Cheers and beers to importing the American education to mainland (ers) :lol

Messages In This Thread
China: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-01-09
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-04-09
Re: GAC-ACT -- Jim Smith -- 2010-03-25
Re: GAC-ACT -- Smitty -- 2010-03-25
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-27
Re: GAC-ACT -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-26
Re: GAC-ACT -- Sun Carol -- 2010-01-25
Re: GAC-ACT -- J Melbourne -- 2010-03-24