TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A degree in uncommon sense!
No degree for me! - 2010-03-29
In response to Re: A degree in uncommon sense! (Juan Isaac)

How do you show a university in China that you are qualified to teach? Well, there has never been any formal sort of testing or examination if that is what you mean. I suppose that the uni sees my resume and notices that I have taught at several other universities, that must be how they judge if I am "qualified" or not. When I first came to China I taught at middle school, I must say that I was hopeless at it, on top of that I did not like it. I had taught adults before back home ( in textile industry ) , but it took me some time to adapt to the large ( sometimes huge ) university classes in China.

My previous work and life experience is what I believe has made me become a good teacher in China, I can relate to people of all races,and people from many different socio-economic backgrounds. I have been both rich and poor a few times. Asian people really need to change this "degree is everything" mindset that they foolishly cling to. This situation is worst of all in Thailand, a country with nice peole, but full of degree snobs who often know absolutely nothing ( tell me about anything useful that has come out of Thailand recently, except it's women ofcourse! ) Thailand lost all of it's most talented FT's many years ago because of a degree mentality.

As for China, whether it's FT's have a degree or not is a non-issue, a red herring. And you are right, there are many college professors who can't teach. I would also like to point out that at the university where the dumb American was briefly employed there was also a professor who told me I should use the text book I was given because it was "written by a professor". He was not impresed when I told him that does not mean much in my experience!

Messages In This Thread
A degree in uncommon sense! -- No degree for me! -- 2010-03-26
Re: A degree in uncommon sense! -- Juan Isaac -- 2010-03-29
Re: A degree in uncommon sense! -- No degree for me! -- 2010-03-29
Re: A degree in uncommon sense! -- stumped -- 2010-03-26
Re: A degree in uncommon sense! -- Raoul Duke -- 2010-03-27
Re: Sometimes though new guys/gals need help, too -- Dragonized -- 2010-03-27
Re: Sometimes though new guys/gals need help, too -- No degree for me! -- 2010-03-27
Re: Sometimes though new guys/gals need help, too -- Oldtimer -- 2010-03-27
Re: Sometimes though new guys/gals need help, too -- Dragonized -- 2010-03-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A degree in uncommon sense!

Go to another board -