TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Subject To Medical? NO!
Relative Newbie - 2010-03-29

With all respect due to you, I have not failed to realise anything since I have only reported what I personally have experienced and what is common practice in China - including the fact that normally employers do not state in their contracts the need for a medical the foreign employee has to go through as a part of the procedure. You should have done your homework before going there, man.

With all respect due to you, man, my employer should have done his homework re contracts. and offered me one to sign after he had asked me to take a medical, not before, given that there's no 'subject to medical' clause in said contract. So, he has blundered - I had known immediately when I signed!
Actually, I'm the first FT to have taught there, and he was so eager to sign me up that he overlooked what is standard procedure here, that is medical first, sign contract later. He even had a lawyer present to countersign when the contract was signed!
If I make a mistake, I'll suffer for it. If my employer makes one, why shouldn't he suffer for it too? - he ain't God, neither am I!
Chinese sign contracts with Westerners according to Western principles. Chinese contracts are written in similar ways to Western ones.
Update: The college FAO told me at the weekend that the PSB have changed their mind, and agreed to accept my four-year old medical. But I was required to take an HIV test, which I have already taken this Monday in the provincial capital. As soon as the result is available, I'll get my RP on surrendering the RP from the other city that still has 5 months to run, subject to my not having Aids! I'm very happy with the deal. I was told that the PSB were well rewarded by the college leaders for 'co-operating'.
As for the tone of your reply, it could be friendlier!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Subject To Medical? NO! -- Relative Newbie -- 2010-03-29
Re: Subject To Medical? NO! -- A-Z -- 2010-03-31
Re: Subject To Medical? NO! -- Peter -- 2010-03-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Subject To Medical? NO!

Go to another board -