TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Subject To Medical? NO!
Peter - 2010-03-31
In response to Re: Subject To Medical? NO! (A-Z)

If I had been in Relative Newbie's shoes I'd have done exactly the same without having to think twice.
Given that many Chinese employers have no compunction breaking contracts they've signed with their FT's, I wouldn't dismiss any loopholes that were to my advantage in the English translation of the contract. If my employer tried to get out of an obligation by saying that the original Chinese version was different from the English version, I wouldn't accept his feeble excuse. Get what you deserve according to the contract in English by first discussing a dispute. If that fails, threaten strike action. Forget SAFEA, that body is not neutral. Never quibble about minor matters - the Chinese dislike wowsers.
Best to teach out in the sticks. Then you cannot be replaced quickly or easily. Get your job through an agent so that your employer will have forked out an introduction fee, which he won't be able to get back. He's invested in you -that's to your advantage. If he makes you walk, and he's got no replacement, he will have lost face bigtime. He'll never tell you that, but that's the true situation. In my experience, you'll be there till your contract expires. Then move on! Don't expect everything to be perfect, it won't be. Remember you're in China. You should take the good with the bad gracefully, but ensure the good far outweighs the bad by speaking out on major issues as and when necessary. Work in the public sector, if at all possible.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Subject To Medical? NO! -- Relative Newbie -- 2010-03-29
Re: Subject To Medical? NO! -- A-Z -- 2010-03-31
Re: Subject To Medical? NO! -- Peter -- 2010-03-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Subject To Medical? NO!

Go to another board -