TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Dongbei Primary beware!
Maria - 2010-04-01
In response to Re: Dongbei Primary beware! (bosslove72)

Everything that was written by bosslove is true:keep away from the place!!!!! I worked for this school for exactly 3 weeks, it was the worst experience ever and couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I was contacted with a job offer by Andre/Xiao Lin, an old american teacher, who kept on bragging on how nice the town was (place in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do), how lovely the apartment was (normal one bedroom apartment), how light the teaching schedule was (forgetting to mention the totally pointless 15 minutes English corners 3 times a week at 7.30 am). Anyway after some phone conversations he persuaded me with his chatter that it was a legit place and so I signed the contract... and that's when it all started!
I had no problem with Fred, the Chinese person in charge of the foreign teachers, he was actually very helpful when I wanted to go away but dealing with Andre aka Xiao Lin was kind of a nightmare. First of all the man is an outspoken racist, homophobic and anti-Semite, apart from that he is also a control freak and paranoid. He always wants to know what is going on around him to the extent that he would be calling me every single evening with the pretense of checking on my well being but in the meantime interrogating me on my conversations with Fred and my other colleagues, badmouthing them in the process and making all kind of unpleasant remarks on them.
Andre/Xiao Lin has has an ambivalent relationship with Fred saying how good friends they are and all but in private insinuating that he is not a trustworthy person... maybe it is all part of their good/bad cop routine as mentioned by booslove :-) After three weeks working there I informed them that I wanted to quit the job but my visa was about to expire so I went to the police station with Fred who helped me apply for a tourist visa instead. In the evening I received yet another phone call from Andre/Xiao Lin who insinuated that Fred could have said anything to the police and that maybe he was just pretending to apply for the visa with me but in reality he was arranging for me not to get the visa so I should be prepared to get deported anytime and other things on this line...all the wile saying he was trying to warn me because he was my friend.
Anyway next day (Saturday) he came to the flat where I'm staying with Fred to discuss the termination of the contract. And here is were he showed is conniving and unpleasant nature. According to the contract they were asking for a 800 USD breach of contract penalty plus 600 RMB for the monthly internet fee (more expensive than London!!!!) plus an unspecified amount for the apartment bills but since I had been working for them for only three weeks and felt like the unwanted harassment and stress was not part of the job description I had accepted (not to mention the time wasted in getting all my papers done and the job offers turned down because of them) all I was going to give them was my 3 weeks of unpaid work. At this point Andre/Xiao Lin started becoming unpleasant telling me I had no right to stay in the apartment because it was school property and I had to go away straight away. To which I pointed out I would be more than glad to go away but couldn't do it without my passport which still was at the police station but if they insisted I could camp in the park for the weekend and whatever happened to me was going to be their responsibility... that's when finally Andre backed down.
In theory having a very unpleasant colleague is not a huge deal because once one finishes work one can always escape home... the problem is that with Andre he is always present even in one's free time. In addition he tends to consider himself like the boss of the place since he has been working there for 3 years and becomes very cross even in an aggressive way if someone does something he doesn't like.
Andre is a good teacher but I frankly can't say the same of him as a person. My overall impression of him is that he tries to gain one's trust by being very helpful and "nice" but it his just his way of gaining control over you.
So my advice is to stay away from the place (at least until he is still around), and don't believe what he tells you on the phone... no matter how convincing he may sound he is clearly not totally there with his head and since the school trusts him a lot you will have to deal with him more than you will want to.

Messages In This Thread
Dongbei Primary beware! -- KFesl -- 2009-12-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- OMack -- 2013-07-03
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- San Migs -- 2013-07-04
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- OMack -- 2013-07-04
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- San Migs -- 2013-07-05
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- OMack -- 2013-07-06
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- MikeK -- 2013-07-05
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- MikeK -- 2013-07-03
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- OMack -- 2013-07-04
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Alternate -- 2013-07-05
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- San Migs -- 2013-07-05
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- MikeK -- 2013-07-04
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Mahoma Iza -- 2010-04-21
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- lucy -- 2010-02-22
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- ybrunson -- 2010-01-28
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Right Said Fred -- 2009-12-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- KJK -- 2009-12-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- KFesl -- 2009-12-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- bosslove72 -- 2010-01-16
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Maria -- 2010-04-12
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Fred -- 2010-04-16
More info on Dongbei Primary -- Maria -- 2010-04-19
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Truthseeker! -- 2010-04-19
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Garbage Laowai -- 2010-04-18
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Callum West -- 2010-04-19
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Maria -- 2010-04-20
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Mike -- 2010-04-20
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Callum West -- 2010-04-20
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Dragonized -- 2010-04-18
Stay clear of this garbage place! -- Garbage Cleaner -- 2010-04-19
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Maria -- 2010-04-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware!- Extra Money for Fred -- Pocketer -- 2010-04-18
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Bill Collector -- 2010-04-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Busineesman -- 2010-04-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- montanovaa -- 2010-04-17
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Busineesman -- 2010-04-17
Broke in China -- Aussie Bloke -- 2010-04-16
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Oldtimer -- 2010-04-16
On garbage here and there -- Garbage Cleaner -- 2010-04-16
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Bosslove72 -- 2010-04-12
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Maria -- 2010-04-01
Re: Dongbei Primary beware! -- Alcatraz -- 2010-04-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Dongbei Primary beware!

Go to another board -