TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment
LNC - 2010-04-03

I agree with what you wrote. I think that the HK Chinese ( and Singaporean Chinese ), in general, are very arrogant, racist, and yes, they are "snobs", that is a very appropriate word to describe them. However, I have recently become romantically involved with a Hong Kong Chinese girl, she is great, pretty, kind, loving and generous. Her mother and most of her family live here in mainland China. She has told me that the majority of HK people "are not very nice", and she would prefer to live in Nanning. Women from the Philippines and Thailand are regularly abused by HK employers, bullied, and both verbally and physically abused. There is a mountain of evidence to support these claims.

FT's from the Philippines and Africa are also discriminated against in China. I recently tried to help a Filippina friend of mine in Wuhan to find a job in Guangzhou. Hardly anyone wanted to employ her, those that did were only willing to pay her 3000RMB a month!

I also agree with what you said about Chinese teachers of English at key Chinese universities. They think they are smart and "educated", in reality they are just jealous of foreigners at the university because we are paid more than them, we are better educated than they are, we also have common sense, something that they are always lacking. It is the woman Chinese teacher who is always the biggest and most stuck up snob. I am lucky that at my current uni there are a few nice female Chinese English teachers. However, I should be wary of why they are so friendly. Perhaps the possibility of a "better life" with a foreigner is the reason. Maybe not, but I would warn any FT who wants to become involved with a female Chinese English teacher to be cautious.

Messages In This Thread
Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- Neps M. Guisona -- 2010-04-02
Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- Riverina -- 2010-04-02
Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- LNC -- 2010-04-03
Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- Riverina -- 2010-04-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment

Go to another board -