TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment
Riverina - 2010-04-03

I also agree with what you said about Chinese teachers of English at key Chinese universities. They think they are smart and "educated", in reality they are just jealous of foreigners at the university because we are paid more than them, we are better educated than they are, we also have common sense, something that they are always lacking. It is the woman Chinese teacher who is always the biggest and most stuck up snob.

I agree with what you say. But we should be careful not to generalise - there are always exceptions to the rule. Some of the Chinese male teachers can be almost as bad when it comes to backstabbing their colleagues. I guess the culture they are following has two ways of getting ahead in life, maybe practised in tandem. One is by hard work. The other is by denigrating their colleagues, unfairly or otherwise. They should learn some manners, and be more humble. They're supposed to be academics!

I am lucky that at my current uni there are a few nice female Chinese English teachers. However, I should be wary of why they are so friendly. Perhaps the possibility of a "better life" with a foreigner is the reason. Maybe not, but I would warn any FT who wants to become involved with a female Chinese English teacher to be cautious.

Nice to your face, but what are they saying about you behind your back? I've been told by a Chinese friend not to fall for sweet words! Flattery is often used here. Yes,we should be cautious of Chinese female teachers. Don't rush into a romance. Give it time to develop naturally. At the same time you can find out what makes the woman tick! I hope things go well with the Nanning woman working in HK. Maybe she's a woman of good character. But even so, I think you need a woman who will follow you wherever you teach in China. Career women will probably be unwilling to do so, unless their jobs are transferable. That could be a major obstacle in the future if you marry the wrong one!

Messages In This Thread
Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- Neps M. Guisona -- 2010-04-02
Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- Riverina -- 2010-04-02
Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- LNC -- 2010-04-03
Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment -- Riverina -- 2010-04-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Filipino women, victims of illegal recruitment

Go to another board -