TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions!
englishgibson - 2010-04-05

a few months ago, i had to quit which was partially due to my academic program manager's inability to explain all the students what the term plagiarizm meant. well, this manager, a chinese national, never took her time to follow up on the program's guidelines and so i eventually ended up reading some perfect work of others, not my students. worse then that, these students revolted against me as, to them, i was completely unfair.

plagiarism, the dishonesty or accepting bribes are quite common around the world and the developed countries aren't much different. not long ago, the current US president obama spoke to american students on plagiarizm and i remember jean cretien, the former canadian "prime mistress" that tried to buy votes with second tax rebates in one year..that were just a month before elections. in china, it all seems to have an interesting twist as many people take it for a part of their daily lives. on my first job in china, i experienced some of the local public school teachers that paid to get their jobs there. my wife, a chinese national, was one of them too and when the exams period came, some of the local teachers opted to use the copy machine to teach their own classrooms how to pass the upcoming exams then. that copy machine copied the actual upcoming exams then and my wife only wondered how it could've been that those teachers had gotten a hold of the exams. stunned i was as her students spoke english the best atlhough passed the exams on the worst scores of all other students in the school. for me it was as stunning coz that public school leaders had more respect for those dishonest teachers there and little saved for my wife that was only my friend at that time. to my knowledge, there are still many chinese that actually pay to get their jobs and then they have to suck it up as if they don't there'll usually be repercussions of all sorts. as dangerous as it is for the upcoming generation in this country as they are learning what their older generation is practising and preaching.

cheers and beers to honesty and integrity

Messages In This Thread
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Steven -- 2010-04-04
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- LNC -- 2010-04-05
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- englishgibson -- 2010-04-06
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- englishgibson -- 2010-04-05
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Barry Richards -- 2010-04-05
Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions! -- Monitor -- 2010-04-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Plagiarism in China is one of their traditions!

Go to another board -