TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A Great Job
Juanisaac - 2010-04-06
In response to A Great Job (Ed Callaghan)

Turnoi is right on this one. I am also in my early 30s and unrequired of any night life, been there done that. I live in an apartment at my senior middle school and frankly nobody cares who comes and goes from my apartment. So my life situation is similar to yours. However, that does stop people from gossipping about me and branding me a criminal. In China a foreigner is guilty of something until proven guilty of something. Take this to heart, someone is always watching you, and even if you do nothing wrong someone will think you did. A few examples, some weeks ago my FAO confronted me that someone told him (the men watching the gate) that I came home drunk. I told him that yes I was drunk and then I reminded him that he was the one who invited me out to drink and the both of us became drunk. When he remembered, then it was o.k. One of my students was helping me home with my groceries, he was first stopped by one of the teachers and interrogated and then by one of the gatekeepers as to what, who, why,etc. At the present moment for you it might be o.k., but then in gets annoying. Take it from me and Turnoi that it is better to live outside of campus. But now that you are stuck on campus: never invite any of your students to your house, never meet anyone at the school gate for you should do it in town, and absolutely under no circumstances spend too much time talking to girls alone. Try to make friends with all the workers, staff, and especially the guys at the school gate. The teachers can take a hike for all I care. I had to bribe my gatekeepers with an expensive pack of cigarrettes each during the Spring Festival to show them than I was not the pedophile they thought I was. Once the Chinese people get to know you, they are very loyal; but they will still talk about you. In China when you say something just imagine that you told all of China in fluent Mandarin and if you are o.k. with that, then say it.
At my school, everyone knows that I don't eat rice with my meals, that I don't tolerate bai jiu well, that I don't smoke, etc. how do you think they know? I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
A Great Job -- Ed Callaghan -- 2010-04-04
Re: A Great Job -- Juanisaac -- 2010-04-06
Re: A Great Job -- SaniTizer! -- 2010-04-07
Re: A Great Job -- Monitor -- 2010-04-06
Re: A Great Job -- LNC -- 2010-04-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A Great Job

Go to another board -