TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › What makes a good teacher?
cunning inguist - 2010-04-13

I've been following several threads on this Forum that relate to qualifications, demo lessons, behaviour outside the classroom and experience. For each new class I teach, I give them a questionnare* (25 questions) to complete where they are asked to rank a set of attributes and skills. After analysing the results I give them feedback on their expectations for our partnership. Coupled with this is another handout giving the rules and expectations for classroom behaviour for creating an effective teaching and learning environment. The "rules" follow a discussion session about why we need a structure. When students are asked for examples of rules they would implement, they are far more dictatorial than anything I would include! For the questionnaire, there is a definite pattern in the responses. And there is a correlation between the responses from weaker students and their motivation. Generally they rank, " Be funny" as their number 1 quality. I've been using this approach for a number of years and the similarities between the results from different classes are not surprising. So here's the top five:-

1. Must be passionate about teaching, patient and adapt to the level of the students.
2. Is enthusiastic, inspires enthusiasm for the subject.
3. Gives clear information and feedback.
4. Must know the subject they are teaching.
5. Is sensitive to the culture and background of the students.

Ok, this is hardly scientific but, given the wide range of foreign teachers in China, I wonder what other teachers would include in their own list.

* Questionnaire based on "What makes a good teacher" in Riddell,D (2003) Teaching English as a foreign language. Hodder Education, p.13

· Previous · Next Return to Index › What makes a good teacher?

Go to another board -