TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: The National Day of Mourning in China
Dragonized - 2010-04-21
In response to The National Day of Mourning in China (englishgibson)

Unfortunately, this is an autocratic policy that was decided on a whim. I'm glad I'm not back there. In a ways this is kind of creepy as it reminded me of some cultural practices I read about which was done in China back when the emperor was still around. Whenever an emperor or a close relative of his (sometimes her, in the case of the Dowager Empress) kicked the bucket, everyone who was an artist in the area of music, poetry, opera, etc. wouldn't be allowed to do their thing. People were expected to carry long faces and express sorrow for the royal family. The atmosphere needed to be dull so everyone can appreciate how sad we're all supposed to feel because that's what we were told, at least that's my understanding of it.

The fact that internet sites which stream music and videos aren't allowed to be open and international football matches such as the UEFA champions league have been rescheduled shows that the more things change, the more they stay the same. It's sad that the souls of many perished with the earthquake, however people who are still living should continue to live, shoving this down everyone's throats only brings resentment. We all have our way of mourning and grieving. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Messages In This Thread
The National Day of Mourning in China -- englishgibson -- 2010-04-21
Re: The National Day of Mourning in China -- Turino -- 2010-04-21
Re: The National Day of Mourning in China -- Dragonized -- 2010-04-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: The National Day of Mourning in China

Go to another board -