TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: dress code
Andrew - 2010-04-27
In response to Re: dress code (sandalman)

I've noticed that those who aren't actually qualified or experienced quickly learn that if they keep their heads down and just plod their way through their classes, they will likely be assured of job security.

I've noticed this too. They smile at everyone, never criticize anything, distrust their fellow FT's, and some even play games like'Hangman' with all their classes, a great way to pass the time in class while becoming poular with students. A very insecure few of them will even do overtime work for free. I think this kind of foreign teacher may be called a snivelling, groveling weasel. They are more common than you might think.

On the other hand, those with training and experience are more apt to notice the deficits of this education system and are therefore more likely to earn the wrath of the administrators by speaking out against those deficits.

I'm that kind of foreign teacher. By pointing out the deficiencies in the education system, and by preventing myself being financially ripped off re the terms and conditions of my teaching contracts, I manage to earn myself the reputation of beibg a troublemaker wherever I teach. So,I have to move on, like a desert nomad. But China is vast enough to allow me to experience living and teaching in different environments, as there are always schools and colleges that crave white FT's. I think you may describe me rather accurately as a crocodile. They are also more common here than you might think - still here despite being disliked by their fellow Chinese teachers, including the FAO, and avoided by laowei SGW's who do not wish to be badly thought of.

Messages In This Thread
dress code -- Styleman -- 2010-04-24
Re: dress code -- Rin -- 2010-05-03
Re: dress code -- Turino -- 2010-04-28
Re: dress code -- sandalman -- 2010-04-28
Re: dress code -- sandalman -- 2010-04-27
Re: dress code -- hobo -- 2010-04-25
Re: dress code -- Bum -- 2010-04-25
Re: dress code -- Andrew -- 2010-04-25
Re: dress code -- sandalman -- 2010-04-27
Re: dress code -- Andrew -- 2010-04-27
Re: dress code -- Duckling -- 2010-04-27