TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion
been there done that! - 2010-05-10

I disagree. A degree by no means is any indication that someone can "learn new skils". I must agree with what the Reconciled poster said, a degree is useless in China for teaching oral English or any type of English, unless it is a BA in English, then that degree holder might have some merit to be a decent teacher in the future. Even an education degree or a degree in English will not automatically make someone a good teacher.

I think I have learned how to be a good teacher at university, but it had nothing to do with my degree ( which is a degree that is useless for teaching English ) As for "skirtchasers" and drunks, well, what is wrong with that? You come across as being a bit of a wowser to me! So you expect a Western man to come to China for a year ( or much longer ) and remain celibate? That is unrealistic, unnatural and quite stupid. I don't drink that much anymore, but if a teacher wants to go and get drunk on Friday nights then could for him/her.

There is one rule for the Chinese and another rule for laowei it seems. The Chinese go out and get as drunk as they want, but an FT should show restraint? Why? Chinese men can cheat on the wives and spend time with prostitutes, but foreigners should not? There are also some Western men whose primary purpose to be in China is to find a wife, that is a very good thing, and it should be encouraged, not frowned upon.

In regard to fake degrees I also agree with Reconciled. Education here is crap, it always will be, importing a bunch of ivory tower Western academics to teach here will not make any difference. Many Chinese people have fake degrees, along with quite a few FT's. I am sure that many of these people are actually quite competent, as they have learned their skills through practical experience, unlike stuck up ivory tower Western academic snobs!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-09
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- joe -- 2010-05-10
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-10
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Joe -- 2010-05-11
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- With Uni Degree -- 2010-05-11
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- been there done that! -- 2010-05-10
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Rin -- 2010-05-15
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -