TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion
Reconciled - 2010-05-10
In response to Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion (been there done that!)

Thanks been there done that, though I never said people formerly educated are snobs or any other such thing. My point though in regards to teaching here was much the same as yours. To teach English in China a degree is necessary. The Chinese don't care about teaching students English, just making money. Even in public schools it's all about making money. You might get a better ride at a public school, better treatment, but it's by no means a guarantee that you will.

Bottom line, for teaching English "here" in China, it's not a relevant issue. They don't even care, it's the government that created what is really a fake measure to make some people happy. It is however a measure that is largely ignored. Preferred is a white face, and not much more really. Also let's be honest, education in western countries is far superior, and someone who was even a good High School student is likely better educated than someone with a BA form a Chinese University. Sad but often true.

Truth is you can't judge a book by it's cover, or it's degree. Degrees these days are not hard to get, anyone who can get a D or above will pass and get one. Not impressive. I have no idea the correlation between having a degree and learning new skills either, as a degree is generally not a degree in any trade skills of any kind. nor does it imply even an innate ability to learn. Need one reference the majority of people who are C students, at best?

In this information age, with so much information readily available, people are far more informed, and with far more resources to improve themselves. Though I'll admit I'd not want an architect building my home who was self trained and had no formal training, in the case of teaching English in China, it sure isn't hurting anything. Let's be honest, the Chinese education system is junk, and the goal isn't really to teach English anyway, only to make people think they are learning, whilst being entertained. The sooner people accept this reality, the sooner they will stop all this yes, snobbish talk, at least in this regard. I never said a degree is useless, it is however superfluous in regards to teaching English here in China, for the most part anyhow.

It also doesn't guarantee teaching ability of any kind, a far more important skill, and one that can't easily be taught, or learned. What good is knowledge if you can't pass it on?

People too often miss all of these points and simply focus upon education, and without even questioning the quality of either the education, or the person who received it.

I think a lot of different factors contribute to a good teacher. Having decent knowledge of the subject is useful of course. Far more important however is the ability to explain yourself, articulate, in a way that the student can understand. Most people don't have a natural talent for this, though many can learn to one degree or another. If you have a real talent for teaching though, and decent knowledge of the subject, no, a degree is not needed, unless you are looking to become a doctor, lawyer, or molecular biologist.

Just my two cents on the subject, I'm sure others will chime in.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-09
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- joe -- 2010-05-10
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-10
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Joe -- 2010-05-11
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- With Uni Degree -- 2010-05-11
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- been there done that! -- 2010-05-10
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Rin -- 2010-05-15
Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion -- Reconciled -- 2010-05-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Angelina's ESL Cafe? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -