TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How to get a complimentary release letter
Smartie - 2010-05-30

A humorous and sarcastic post that includes a lot of common sense. But I must say I'm very disappointed that that is something oftentimes lacking among some FT's in China, including some posters on this board.
Students' expectations of their FT's vary, school academic standards vary and expectations of the work performances of FT's by Chinese employers vary. It's quite possible for an FT to be praised in one school, but to receive an uncomplimentary release letter from his next school. Such a bad reference will make it difficult for said teacher to get a new teaching post. I'm having to post common sense for the benefit of some of our fellow posters who seem out of touch
with reality. But I think you are in touch with reality, and I'm sure you can understand why some FT's might well have to seek guanxi to avoid the issuance of a dreaded uncomplimentary release letter. I've used the monthly dinner routine at a couple of places in China. And I did say that as a rule, it's better to have male Chinese bosses than female ones. Guanxi is more likely to succeed with men than with women here. When I'm looking for a job, my first consideration is what kind of person the male FAO is, and ditto my English department dean, who must be male too. The actual location is very much of secondary importance, though I would choose a rural location rather than a big city. That's because students from rural areas tend to behave better, and are less likely to complain about foreign teachers than their city counterparts.
For trying to give advice to those who might need it, my reward is to be told I'm a cheat, cheating my students and my employers. Ridiculous, but that can happen on a public board! No matter, I've gotten my main points on the board, there for all to see. Hopefully, some FT's can get themselves out of trouble by application of the monthly dinner routine.

Messages In This Thread
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter -- Smartie -- 2010-05-30
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter -- discerning reader -- 2010-05-31
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter -- happy hooker! -- 2010-05-31
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter -- Jimmy -- 2010-05-31
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter -- bluebird -- 2010-05-31
Re: How to get a complimentary release letter -- Happy Hooker 2 -- 2010-06-01
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How to get a complimentary release letter

Go to another board -