TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I graduated UNI, but owe money, so they have not given me my diploma, what should I do for jobs?
ambientman - 2010-06-03

So, I graduated in May of 2008 with a BA. But because I owe the school money, which I still have not been able to pay back, they will NOT give me my diploma. So now, I have little tangible evidence that I did graduate, even though I did. I have an unofficial transcript from the end of my last semester. All the grades from every class I have ever taken are on the paper, along with my final GPA (2.95), including the total credits, 120 (which is what is needed to finish UNI).

I asked the UNI what I could do about this, because I want to look for a new job in China and need my diploma as proof of graduation. They told me they would send me a verification letter of graduation, with the UNI stamp, address and phone number. They also said prospective employers could simply call the school to verify that I graduated. But would most Chinese schools go through the trouble of doing this? Is one phone call half way around the world worth their time? Or will these accept this verification letter with stamp, and an unofficial transcript from my last semester?

The scary thing is, I took a look at the "diploma" on record at my current school. It is a fake, from a UNI in a state I have never even been! I even told the school the degree was wrong. They did not care. I guess the recruiter made this diploma. I really hope the recruiters actions will not hurt me in the future.

Should I explain to future schools my dilemma? Or just give them the unofficial diploma, (hopefully) the verification letter (if i get it soon) and contact info to the UNI? I guess this is an unusual situation.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I graduated UNI, but owe money, so they have not given me my diploma, what should I do for jobs?

Go to another board -