TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Not getting my degree until August but want to teach in Sept.
Justin - 2010-06-05

Thank you for the helpful post.

You are correct, I wouldn't work illegally even though that may mark me as a trouble maker. I'm a professional and I will behave accordingly. I also realize that they may simply fire me on the spot. That's ok, too. First, I'm not hurting for money and if the worst happens I can simply return home. No big deal. On the other hand, friends in China have agreed to allow me to stay with them (if I am unable to get a job before the September courses begin) while looikng for a job within China. I could always switch my visa to a tourist one, while also taking advantage of the HK free period, to find a job for the next semester (or for a private institution as an interim filler). I do have to admit, though, I might be willing to work a week or maybe 1.5 weeks without my RP, simply as a courtesy to them. I know that hiring a FT can seem like roulette and they do not want to make a bad investment. It may seem contradictory to the first and second sentences of this paragraph but I would consider it a professional courtesy for them to evaluate my teaching abilities before committing to me for an entire year.

The schools I've talked to have all wanted to arrange, and sign, the contract before I leave. It's also one of the key points I will push for. Specifically, they stated the process as thus: after negotiating, they email the contract to me. I sign the contract and mail it back to them. They sign it, then mail it back to me. I use it (with other documents) to get my Z visa. In discussing my graduation date, they did express their uneasiness in forming a binding contract before my graduation which causes further problems due to when I graduate and the time required to mail documents.

It would seem that allowing for me to go 2 weeks prior to the beginning of classes might be a strategic move; they really wouldn't have much time to drag-ass on the RP once school starts.

I will be wary of the bait and switch, thank you.

Justin

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Not getting my degree until August but want to teach in Sept.

Go to another board -