TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Linyi Normal University
michael - 2010-06-06
In response to Re: Linyi Normal University (Grow Up)

ojajajaj, what's a discussion!

But thanks for sharing your opinion, I appreciate it. It's good that most of you are clever guys, even if you don't agree with my English teacher position.
I always say to my students - it's important to say what do you think, it doesn't matter if I agree with it or not.

Generally I don't like fights and complains. I have enough other hobbies to fill my limited free time. That is why I didn't write anything about Linyi Normal University. But when they crossed my limit last week, I had enough and decided to warn the others to not make the same mistake I did (coming here).

My post was regarding the uni "not fair play", but some of you redirect it in purpose to attack me. It's ok, you have rights to do it, but why in so aggressive way?
Do you know me? Are you aware of all circumstances?
Who gave you a right to tell me what I should or shouldn't do?

I don't mind you write your opinion, but please make it true.
I hate lies.

"Grow up" wrote:

I have many students/friends who attended this Linyi institution - I'd be happy to post their comments about this Polish teacher and how his spoken English is 20 times worse than his written English. The web page is a fine example of an inability to grasp the language.

Please do it. Do you know how far is Yishui from Linyi? Do you know how many times I in Linyi (I lived in Yishui)? So, how many teachers did I meet? When was it?

I know my writing English is not good, but I speak good enough. Maybe not good enough for teaching, but you don't have idea.
Why are you saying my oral English is 20 times worse then writing? You know it is not true, you know you are lying.
Now prove it you are not, answer my questions.

As well - why are you attacking me personally? Did I do something bad to you? Or just emotional disorder?

You quote my website:

or several years I worked abroad as a tour guide. Besides, I was construction labour, cook, burger maker, mechanic, strawberries collector, gardener, baby sitter, the seller, traffic surveyor, English teacher, etc

I counted more than 30 different jobs. And all this in several different countries.

Yes, nothing to be proud. I think it's shame on me (ironical tone).
What could you do while living in economical poor country like Poland in 80/90, but love travelling? (I used double "l" not by mistake).
Would you sit and cry? I think so.
I'm different. When I obtained my master degree as a sport teacher and running coach, the Polish school offered me 200 USD per month.
It would mean I had a respectful job, but forget about proper life.
So, I didn't give up my dreams, I wanted to travel. And I did, by hitchhiking, by bicycle, cheap, but interesting way.
And I had to work abroad (England, Germany, Croatia, Australia) to make some money which allow me to live on the proper living conditions and continuing follow my dreams.
It was hard to work as a kitchen hand just after my graduation. It was 9 years ago, I couldn't speak English good enough to get a better job.
I had to swallow inner humility.

But 8 years later (last year) I was the third manager in the biggest Australian outdoor shop (the last 5 years I was living in Sydney).
I improved my English, "Kathmandu" company employed me (yes, I was on interview personally), and after few months working as a sale assistance (customer service - how could be, if I speak English so terribly?) I was manager for multi-million dollars company. It wasn't easy to me, but I did manage.

And my dream came true - so far in age of 35 I've visited (more or less) 127 countries. And I'm still on, I will visit more countries and will try more new jobs, as I love it.
And I'm not shamed. I didn't hurt anyone, I didn't do anything wrong.
Why do you think I gave the website link, when I could write just complain about Linyi Normal University.
Because I'm honest, I'm not afraid of people like you.

I should spent more time to correct my English writing.
You found my mistakes, yes, it is my fault, I should checked it more carefully (not ironical tone).
When you pointed them, I could see some of them. I'm sorry. I will correct them soon.

Now, the hardest thing for me - should I be an English teacher?
Most of you say no, and maybe you are right. Maybe I shouldn't try this way to make my another adventure.
We were (me and my wife) full of doubts when applying for this job.
I was aware I'm not full qualified as an English teacher. That I have a master degree in teaching it's not enough (sport teacher in Poland has the same education program that all other field teachers). We decided to apply when the academic year already started, so we were sure to get somewhere where they really need the teachers. I was prepared to take all consequences if I wouldn't manage, I was ready to leave college for my own expenses if I would feel I'm not good enough to help the students.

Japan and Korea employing only the native speakers, so I didn't try to get there. China is different for simply reason - has too many people, there are not enough teachers. You can chose your employee if you have someone to chose from. China need more and more, they cannot employ only the native speakers, qualified ESL teachers. As Turnoi told you in his logic arguments: "poor" native speaker might be not better than "good" non-native speaker. Of course I cannot compare to "average" native speaker teacher, but I'm sure I'm better teacher than those native lazy ones. I'm preparing hard to every lesson to minimize my mistakes.

Fortunately the reality in Yishui turned out to be good for me (poor English level - students and teachers). For those students I was helpful, I definitely didn't harm them. In Yishui there are 21 Chinese English teachers - only two of them were not afraid talking to us, because of their poor English level. When I saw happy student faces, when I increased their motivation, when I saw the effect - I knew I was on the right place and I did a good job. For sure you, good teachers, would do better, but you weren't there. I prepared classes good enough for them and I felt they appreciated it. And once again - I didn't complain for teaching in Yishui and the school leaders didn't complain for my teaching either. And what is teaching English about? If it comes to pass the school grammar exams - I'm not the proper person. But English in Yishui is about communication.
And I can communicate in English, even if i do mistakes.

Don't worry, I have a deal for "Grow up" and "Who cares". Yishui has no foreigner teacher for the next term. And they need them, students want them, they were asking why I was leaving. So just come and help. Don't worry that schools officials won't treat you fair, you can manage. Oh, I forgot - in Yishui county there are not other foreigners, you are alone. There are no pubs or night club either (only KTV), there is nowhere to go after 10 pm. Students are locked in the dormitories as well. There is very cold (winter) in the old mould room. You are welcomed in this narrow minded village. Good luck.

That's all for today.

cheers
Michael

Messages In This Thread
Linyi Normal University -- michael -- 2010-06-03
Re: Linyi Normal University -- Grow Up -- 2010-06-08
Re: Linyi Normal University -- michael -- 2010-06-09
Re: Linyi Normal University -- Foxy -- 2010-06-05
Re: Linyi Normal University -- Gozimus -- 2010-06-05
Re: Linyi Normal University -- Grow Up -- 2010-06-04
Re: Linyi Normal University -- travelinhobo -- 2010-06-05
Re: Linyi Normal University -- michael -- 2010-06-04