TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Shenzhen and A-Level courses
Justin - 2010-06-08
In response to Re: Shenzhen and A-Level courses (englishgibson)

Thanks, Gibson, I'll be sure to ask what the average IELTS score is for the students I will be teaching. I believe the students are prepped for those starting at grade 1 but I'll ask to be sure. Regarding supplies, I've been told that I will be given a computer, am allowed free photocopying for school purposes, and will have staff to help me with things. How true this is I will not know until I arrive. I will be able to talk with previous employees, however, soon.

I'm glad to hear your positive outlook on Shenzhen. It seems most of the information I could find online (ie: foreigner blogs) mentioned only the shopping and interesting tales of being followed by salesmen/scamartist/pickpockets/prostitutes. The school will be sending my foreign expert certificate (along with a red stamped contract) to use for me getting my Z visa, before I even leave country, so I believe that should be well in order. Actually, all of the utilities are paid for except the electricity stipulation I mentioned in the original post so I will only have to pay for going over those 650 kw-hours. Oh, and high speed internet, I have to pay for that, haha (free on campus). I did notice that those types of schools you mentioned pay slightly more but they also don't provide an apartment. My uni will, so the salary is essentially fun money as far as I'm concerned. Normally it would only be 7000 (for example, and ESL teacher would earn that) but due to my scientific major/career, the A-Level teachers are paid more.

The only downside I can see is that it's in the Baoan district, which is quite a ways from downtown. 30 minute bus ride to the Shekou district, which I understand is where all the expats go for fun and shopping. On the other hand... it's only 30 minutes to the port, where it's a short ferry ride to fabulous Hong Kong and there's an "international" airport in the district which may make traveling to other parts of the country slightly easier.

I'm starting to get excited about it, which makes me cautious.

Cautiously yours,

Justin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Shenzhen and A-Level courses -- englishgibson -- 2010-06-08
Re: Shenzhen and A-Level courses -- Justin -- 2010-06-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Shenzhen and A-Level courses

Go to another board -