TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo
Nick Pellatt - 2010-06-20
In response to Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo (happy hooker!)

Turnoi posted this, and I have copied some as I feel it is relevant to this thread.

"I am a rather independent person, well-organised and self-disciplined enough to do the job in the way as it should be done and could reasonably be expected."

"Part of this profile for university teachers/professors in the West is a tremendous amount of academic and personal freedom to organise your own working schedule, the times when you teach and the contents of what you teach, and the way in which you teach. It also means that you are able to use that freedom responsibly for doing a good job, being aware of the fact that you are held accountable if you do NOT."

Obviously, not all of this is relevant, but I have left it as Im sure the pedantic amongst you would suggest I am twisting words to make my point. I take my job very seriously, and take EFL as a career/industry etc seriously too. Im also happy to be held accountable should I not prove able to do my job.

Happy Hooker, there is no mention of fines for lateness in my post, and there is no clause regarding that in the contract.

However, part of the contract does state that in addition to my 15 hours teaching, I am contracted to attend a staff meeting fortnightly, and social night weekly.

The staff meeting is normally around 30 minutes, and is used to discuss teaching issues, moving up of students, student issues and problems. Thats kinda important dont you think?

The social night is once a week and about 90 minutes in length. Free beer and snacks are provided, and activities can range from being the dreaded English Corner, an outdoor BBQ, singing competition etc. This is quite important for some of the students too!

The clauses referred to in the contract states that 40 RMB may be deducted in the event of non-attendance of these contracted duties. Personally, and as a responsible individual I dont see any issue with that part of the contract, and I think it is churlish to suggest it is 'appalling' as suggested. I have also mentioned that I have never seen this enforced, and I believe it is included only to 'sort the wheat from the chaff' and to penalise the worst offenders, and those who take the pee.

Unfortunately China is rather de-professionalised when it comes to EFL instruction. No big secret there, and the standard of FT's is often incredibly low. Any FT who is as Turnoi suggest he/she is ... 'well-organised and self-disciplined enough to do the job in the way as it should be done and could reasonably be expected' will have no problems at all at Omeida and I have suggested this to be the case throughout. Teachers who think simply being a native speaker on an adventure in China = qualified to teach, probably shouldnt apply .... although as I am sitting writing this on a computer in the UK, it isnt really my concern who applies.

Im going to bow out of this thread now....You obviously think I am some sort of flunky waving an Odar flag and pocketing RMBs at the expense of naive newcomers, and Im not going to get involved in tat for tat name calling etc. As I have said many times, I am the only person in this thread who appears to have first hand experience of actually working there, and I hope this thread will remain intact for anyone to read who has a similar query to the OP on this thread.

emails or facebook adds welcome for anyone wanting more information based on first hand experience.

Regards

NP

Messages In This Thread
Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- happy hooker! -- 2010-06-20
Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- englishgibson -- 2010-06-20
Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-06-21
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- englishgibson -- 2010-09-01
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-09-01
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- englishgibson -- 2010-09-03
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-09-05
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- englishgibson -- 2010-09-06
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Ivan Milatsky Il Terriblo the 3rd -- 2010-09-02
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-09-02
Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- englishgibson -- 2010-06-21
Re: Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- LOL -- 2010-06-21
Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-06-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Omeida Language College in Yangshuo

Go to another board -