TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › CCTV Dialogue Program
englishgibson - 2010-07-09

I know I don't have to watch it, but when there's little to see on the local cable network i switch to the English language program. The news is often as poor as it can get, but the dialogue is often quite something. Never mind the quality or some really questionable use of English, but the content is so bothering. The male host usually leads some unbelievable propaganda, and, a couple days ago, the fine female host completely or conveniently ignored one issue the foreign guest addressed.

Let me tell you about tonight's ridiculous show that is still in progress as I am writing. On the topic of Chinese students going for their higher education abroad, the male host's stated that there are 1 million Chinese students going abroad (unclear if per year of 30 years period) and that "only" 70 percent of them return. The local expert guest on topic on this show followed up clearly with the number of 1.4 million students yearly and with the fact that 30 percent return and then expanded that there are expectations of the government that at least 50 percent returns as there's a large investment in these youngsters going abroad. What frustrates me so much is this farce male host has yet again offered such a confusion on the air and tried to sway the public with his numbers. Did he really make an honest mistake or just tried his best to mislead the public..yet again? I turned my TV off and took my little pumkin out for a walk. However, I don't believe some locals may understand English well enough to see what their own international station wants to accomplish.

On the female's dialogue from a couple days ago where the topic was the Washington Post's Weekly Magazine that Southern Chinese media group attempted to purchase the American iconic media magazine. The foreign guest stated right off, when answering the question "WHY NOT", that it was the fear of communists owning it that turned the Anerican owners off. The fine female host replied that it was Chinese businessmen that owned it, not communists. She said it was a "pricate Chinese company". It made my eyes roll as I have known so many private companies and business people on mainland that were either proud or "quiet" communists. Nothing wrong with the party members here, but if they were more "transparent" than they are. Is the world to believe that all Chinese business people are not communist party members..as according to the fine female host on the CCTV.

Cheers and beers

Messages In This Thread
CCTV Dialogue Program -- englishgibson -- 2010-07-09
Re: CCTV Dialogue Program -- robert gordon -- 2010-07-15
Re: CCTV Dialogue Program -- Anna -- 2010-07-17
Re: CCTV Dialogue Program -- englishgibson -- 2010-07-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › CCTV Dialogue Program

Go to another board -